Computer Help forum

Question

VIRUS: Windows has encountered a critical problem!

Hi!

I am not a computer geek but I am pretty sure that my laptop has been infected with a virus that automatically restarts my computer after displaying the message - "Windows has encountered a critical problem. Your computer will restart in a minute. Please save your work". I know it is a virus because MS security essentials keeps on detecting viruses before my system is restarted.

Now the problem is - this occurs within first 2 minutes of me starting the computer so I don't get enough time to scan my computer, install anything or even copy important data into my USB as clearly 2 minutes is not enough especially considering that my computer has become incredibly slow since the virus attack.

I have tried safe mode, R-kill I have also even tried disabling automatic restart on system crash. But nothing is changing - it still restarts within 2 minutes. MBAM's Rkill returns the message "Installation Failed".

I am new to cnet and I would really appreciate if someone's out there who can help me get rid of this virus.

Remember, I have to stop my computer from restarting in 2 minutes before I can install any new antiviruses or malwares like AVAST, malwarebytes or anything like that.

Also, please remember I am not a computer geek so please try to keep it as simple as possible for a layman.

Cheers!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VIRUS: Windows has encountered a critical problem!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VIRUS: Windows has encountered a critical problem!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with "that's no virus."

In reply to: VIRUS: Windows has encountered a critical problem!

My bet is that the 2 minutes is a sign the PC (what PC is this?) needs some maintenance.

Are you ready to learn about basic use of CANNED AIR (see google) and cleaning your PC? If so, google this -> How to use CANNED AIR to clean your PC?

Bob

Collapse -
Why is Antivirus detecting Viruses

In reply to: I'm going with "that's no virus."

Thanks for your reply.

But if it is a cleaning issue then why is my antivirus (MS Security Essential) detecting viruses within 2 minutes before restarting.

Another thing is that before this whole thing started, MS Security essential stopped working alltogether and started displaying the message that my computer was unprotected. As I was unable to make it work, I had to un-install and then re-install MS security essential to make it work again and whilst I was scanning my computer after the re-install, it started doing the restarting thing and detecting viruses. That is why I highly suspect that my computer is infected with viruses.

I doubt if its really a cleaning issue, What say?

Collapse -
Use the spyware, virus & security forum and post there

In reply to: Why is Antivirus detecting Viruses

Once in that forum ask again what maybe the issue. Since, you're able to get into safe mode and remains up and running, you need to run some AV from a disc or flashdrive w/o actual install, just scan from it. You need then to boot into safe mode w/networking menu selection. That way you have access to disc or flashdrive. You could even enter the WWW and allow some online scan as well.

I would suggest you try AVAST pgm. and allow it when it tries to install to do a "boot scan" to safe guard the install and YES, it's free version works well. Do you have any clue to the type or malware at work here, that MS report some virus, any name? If so, google for fixes for that named virus.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I will head to that forum then, Thanks

In reply to: Use the spyware, virus & security forum and post there

Yes, I will head to that forum then, Thanks Willy.

And, I mentioned before that my computer is not running in safe mode either. So, I can't really run any AV from harddisk, USB/CD and internet. I don't remember the name of viruses MS Security Essentials is detecting off the top of my head. I will have to check it out later sorry.

I am afraid that I might have to format my comp. alltogether

Collapse -
I'm not thoroughly convinced it is a virus.

In reply to: I will head to that forum then, Thanks

Collapse -
I can't see what you see.

In reply to: Why is Antivirus detecting Viruses

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.