Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus websites blocked

by ckmurphy1958 / December 29, 2008 1:57 PM PST

My daughter has a virus(?) on her laptop which will not allow AVG to update. Access to the site is blocked, as well as access to most any site that has virus protection. I have tried downloading a number of virus scanners (mbam, ComboFix, Kaspersky). In many of the cases, I downloaded the programs on another computer, copied them to her laptop, but they will not install. In fact, nothing happens. Kapersky will install, but always stops because it thinks AVG is installed, but it isn't. The operating system is XP. Most other websites work, however if you try to do a search you get ads that pop up and the search will not work. I installed hijack this and posted the results on an anlyze site and removed a few items, svchost was in a wrong folder was the main problem on hijack this.

I greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus websites blocked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus websites blocked
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
MBam
by CascaLonginus / December 29, 2008 2:22 PM PST
In reply to: Virus websites blocked

Put the mbam installer on the desktop of the infected computer, right click on it, and rename it, anything you like, and see if it will install then. If that don't work, scour this section of the forum, and you will see many posts of people with the same problem with more detailed ways of getting mbam installed, updated, and ready to remove your malware.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Blocked Virus sites
by ckmurphy1958 / December 30, 2008 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: MBam

Thank you thank you thank you!! I spent hours (close to 7 to be exact) on this problem. I renamed the mbam installation file and then renamed the program folder. There was more than one trojan on the computer, not sure which one was causing the problem, but they're all gone now and the computer seems to be working.

Collapse -
You CAN Try Stinger....
by tobeach / December 29, 2008 4:21 PM PST
In reply to: Virus websites blocked

Download it on a clean computer, re-name to anything else & burn to CD. It's run as an application & doesn't need install or on-line update.

Just put in daughters CD/DVD drive, navigate to that drive & double click to run. May fix enough to get main functions back.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

I would also look at her Add/Delete programs list (in C.P.) watching for any 3rd party programs like MY Web, My Search, Anything w/toolbar in it (Yahoo!/Google,etc)Free Bonuses shopping, Coupon Bargains & the like.
Most are designed to place ads constantly. In IE, toolbars& plug-ins are often removed via extension available when browser is open. Happy

Collapse -
Virus sites blocked
by ckmurphy1958 / December 30, 2008 12:37 PM PST

Thank you for your suggestion. Her roommate apparently has the same virus (they're blaming it on some puppy cam). I may make the CD that you mentioned for her to take back for her roommate to use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?