Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus trouble - multiple major problems - Help please!

by eddiehonest / July 17, 2006 4:43 AM PDT

I started seeing a virus alert in my AVG (Grisoft) program, then it would hang up. I've tried everyhing that I could by reading the message boards, but it's only gotten worse, to the point where I think I need to reformat & reload the OS. But, I'd appreciate any ideas.

I'm running XP Home SP 2
Here?s what happens:

Virus (AVG) and spyware (Adaware, Stinger, etc) scans all hang up in C:Documents and settings/<user>/Local Settings/Temporary internet files.

I was able to open the folder once and there were a large number of folders and pictures of random things (some guy dancing, the Arc de Triomphe, etc ). I was able to delete all the other user TIF files, but I cannot delete the contents of this folder. Every time I try to delete it, or even just open it now, the system hangs.

Tried System Restore on multiple points, but it would go through the motions, then restart by saying no changes were made.

Now, every time I start up, a warning screen comes up about hard drive trouble and that it is going to "check the disk for consistency". If I let it scan, it hangs up in step 2 of 3 at about 4%. I can skip the process and get into windows.

Tried Ctrl-Alt-Del to see what processes are running. I can bring up the task manager, but when I click on the process tab, it closes.

I was doing some scanning in safe mode when this began, but now, I can?t start safe mode - it starts scrolling through of screen of loading files (like it used to), but hangs up without completing.

When I am able to shut down the computer via the start menu, about ? the time there are ?windows updates? waiting to install, but I?ve disconnected from the internet when this began.

Finally, there is an odd icon in the task bar by the clock. It is an angled box with what looks like a starburst above it. I double click it and get a blank warning dialog. It has the triangle exclamation point and an "ok" button, but no text.

Any ideas would be appreciated before I reformat & reinstall.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus trouble - multiple major problems - Help please!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus trouble - multiple major problems - Help please!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did You Try A Command Line Deletion In Safe Mode?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 17, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

Restart in Safe Mode as the ''administrator'' log in (use the actual "administrator" log in or some other admin user that is different from your's), then click on Start-Run, type ''cmd'', then click on OK. When the command line window opens, type cd \, then press the ''Enter'' key. You should now see the ''C:\>'' prompt.

Now type: Cd Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files then press the ''Enter'' key. (Yourusername will be the user where the infected files reside.)

Now type: del *.*, then press the ''Enter'' key and enter a ''y'' when it asks: ''Are You Sure?''.

Once that's done, while still in Safe Mode, manually navigate to the problem ''Temporary Internet Files'' folder and make sure all files and folders are removed. If they aren't gone manually remove them.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Reply to: Virus trouble - multiple major problems - Help ple
by davecisco / July 17, 2006 7:05 AM PDT

Remove AVG, invest in Computer Associated (CA) Anti-Virus, not the package deal, just the Anti-virus. Ensure you have an internet connection for immeadiate updates to install.

I have personally found, and repeated this for others, if it is visu related, CA will find it and get rid of it. Unlike most others, once it there its there. It just tells you about it.

(PC based, I have not tried this on MAC yet.)

Once you have this installed, install MS Defender, run at least three times back to back, install Lavasoft Adware, run at least 3 times. (or until your systems does not find any further issues.)

MS will run continously in the background, so just let that go. You should run the Adware about once a week, or as you feel it needs it.

Best of luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!