Forum Feedback & Announcements forum

General discussion

Virus & security continued

by murrman / March 22, 2006 2:04 PM PST

i'm sorry but i just don't understand the thinking and defensive attitude of some of you here.You made it clear that the updates were important to many of you.That's fine, accepted.All i was trying to do today was make suggestions to make following threads and the troubled user problems easier.And despite what some of you say, it's outgrown it's present layout and viewing this section comes accross very jumbled.Was not pointing fingers at anyone, just stating the layout could use some improving.That's it.And still, i get attitude.It's almost like some of you are afraid of change.Don't know.But if this is the way it's going to be, then please to us all a favor and remove my membership.I will not only critizize but give credit where it is due and have done so on other forums without receiving this "attitude".

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus & security continued
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus & security continued
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Where is or are the posts of which
by Ray Harinec / March 23, 2006 2:59 AM PST

you complain?

The one that I see in Virus forum re the XP firewall has been discussed ad infinitum in that forum. So just because in one thread, it didn't receive another long dissertation does not imply that you are in any way being given short shrift.

Collapse -
by murrman / March 23, 2006 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: here

your point is?.

Collapse -
The point is...
by John.Wilkinson / March 23, 2006 6:54 AM PST
In reply to: And

Your initial post in this thread was a continuation of the discussion in Virus and Security Alerts, but you did not link to or directly reference the previous posts. Most of us only visit a few forums each, so those reading posts in this forum may have never seen the V&S discussion, and thus not know what you're referring to. That's what ray asked about, and what Jonah referenced and linked to.

Now, I don't mean to argue or point fingers, but from reading over the thread it sounds like you were being defensive. If you click here, you seemed taken aback by 'Carol's attitude.' ("what are some of you getting so defensive about.This is unbelievable.") If you look at the post you were replying to, Carol's only one in the thread until that point, she simply commented about how helpful the alerts are. She was not speaking to or about you, or referencing your posts...she was simply making a comment of her own, intended for the frequent posters in the forum like Roddy, Marianna, etc, in response to michhala's, which was the original one in the thread. She was not being defensive and did not have an attitude at that point. Thus, the way I see it, you had a particular mindset when reading her post, as well as others, and read more into them than was intended. That led to an attitude, both on your part and that of others. That's my objective take on it.

Now, opinions and suggestions are welcomed, and in fact Cnet has this forum dedicated for just that purpose. However, when you make a suggestion or post an opinion, you must be willing to accept that others may have different opinions and will post them in response to yours, occasionally in a defensive way. That doesn't mean that one is better than the other, that your is being dismissed/ignored, or that they are trying to start an's just the freedom for every person to express his/her own views on a subject.

Personally, I rarely visit V&S. From my visits there I like the way it's thread created each day for virus alerts, one for product updates, etc. That's only a couple of threads a day, and keeps everything organized. The rest of the posts are for various other virus and security issues. Would it be nice to have a separate forums for alerts/notifications and for those looking for assistance, sure. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with the current setup and hardly see a conflict of preferences on such as something to get upset about.

Now, if you really wish to have your membership revoked, you can e-mail the administrators (Lee and Marc) through messageboards{at}cnet[dot]com. However, given this is just a little issue over a difference in opinion, I wouldn't take it to that extreme. Of course, the ultimate decision is up to you.

Collapse -
by murrman / March 23, 2006 11:16 AM PST
In reply to: The point is...

thanks for responding and your right, i overlooked including a link.I'm not going to get into anything detailed here, all i will say is this.If you read the entire thread from the beginning, i find it very difficult coming to your conclusion.

Collapse -
" i don't
by murrman / March 23, 2006 6:28 AM PST

say thank you often enough" is the thread.

Collapse -
Re: Changes to the Virus & Scty Forum
by John Robie / March 23, 2006 4:00 AM PST

Guess I may be a little defensive here, but am not being critical of your suggestion.

Notice you mentioned the Wilders security form as an example. It is powered by VBulletin which is a different system than CNets Jive forum system. These forums changed systems in February 2000 and again in October 2003. From what I understand it is quite expensive for CNet to change systems again and I doubt management would want to do it very soon unless the maintenance problem becomes overwhelming.

CNet has a vast forum system with aprx 47 different forums and seems quite a bit larger than Wilders. In any event perhaps the CNet engineers/programers could somehow do as you suggest....I don't know if it would be pracical. Lee Koo is the Manager of these forums, is currently on a leave of absence, but should return I believe next week sometime, and could address your concerns here in this Feedback forum.

Collapse -
by murrman / March 23, 2006 6:23 AM PST

for your reply and input.Yesterday i wasn't asking or suggesting that cnet forums be completely overhauled.Okay.I just was stating that adding an additional category for malware user problems would make things easier and more organized to follow threads instead of having everything mixed in together.That's it.I acknowledged that these updates and alerts are important to alot of members here.But just because there not to me, there is an uproar.I didn't say yesterday to get rid of them, just add another category.It was an opinion based on accessing other forums that have it this way and it does make it easier.And then i get a reaction like i slapped someone accross the face.I mean, c'mon now!.I can't participate in a forum where opinions and views are responded to like this.It's bull1.And if this is the way it is here and is going to continue, i don't want to be part of it.So like i said, if this is the way, let me know and just pull my membership.There are 4 other forums i participate in and there are plenty more where your opinions and suggestions are allowed!.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?