Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Virus Scan Results

About twice a week, I download new virus definitions and run a Virus Scan using Norton Anti-Virus and I also run an adware scan using Pest Patrol. I use Zone Alarm Pro as my firewall and I also download MS updates and patches as soon as they become available. I like to think I'm fairly well protected, but I know stuff still gets in. My main concern is this. When I run a virus scan, I almost always get back a report that viruses have been found and deleted. The most common one is Trojan.ByteVerify and it's not unusual for the scan to find as many as six of them. There's been one case of Downloader.Trojan which was deleted, and recently a scan reported that "repair failed" for Bloodhound.Exploit6, then within the same time frame, the result for the same virus was "access denied". My husband likes to surf some kinky sites, which is fine with me because, let's face it, boys will be boys. I imagine that's where these viruses are coming from, but I really don't want to forbid him from this activity. So, if these pests are being deleted, are they truly gone? Have they been cleaned or have they harmed my machine during the time they were present? What's the difference between deleting a virus and repairing one anyway? I've had no major problems with my PC, and I've always been able to solve the minor ones with a little research and/or "going back in time" with a system restore. But I worry that these frequent virus invasions are going to catch up with me eventually and cause me some real trouble. Thanks for your input.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Scan Results
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Scan Results
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Virus Scan Results

In reply to: Virus Scan Results

Have you checked for a removal tool at your antivirus program's website? Unless you change the surfing habits that gets the virus or find a way to block it, I don't see how it will stop.

Collapse -

Let me comment on Trojan.ByteVerify. It's rather a nasty surprise in that it hinges on an exploit of Java. What we had to do at the office was to wipe out Java and by default turn off javascript. This may not be an option for some, but in a business setting, it works.

Other items are results of just going to sites with questionable motives.

So there you have it. On one hand, there's an exploit of Java that is fairly rampant and I can't say that changing the users sites will help and on the other hand some reduction of what sites are visited will help.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -

I've received the same bug before. I am surprised though that Norton Anti-V auto protect didn't catch it as it tried to download while on the web.

Norton has always caught trojan.byte.verify while surfing adult oriented web sites. Actually, if you go to symantec.com and do some research on this type of trojan, you will find that any real damage is rare and you are safe with your scanning!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.