General discussion

virus scan does not finish, winzip uses 100% CPU

for about 2 days now, I have tried to run my virus scan (Symantec Antivirus) at night, and by morning, its no where near done. we're talkin, its scanned 50000 files max then just stopped on one file and scans (atleast i think its scanning it) 1 file. Ive also had to reboot constantly because winzip is taking 100% of my cpu and i cant end the program. I hate talking to symantec because they tell me the same things....update your definitions, run the virus scan, empty tempory files, etc, etc, etc. i did all that and nothing happens. I also noticed that winzip.exe was copied onto my mapped network drives, which leads me to beleive that winzip is a virus because i didnt put it there, and i know noone else did because one is my private network share. I really dont want to reinstall windows because i did that about 2 months ago, and bout 3 months before that....and OS that has to be reinstalled every 2 or 3 months is not an OS. I should upgrade to linux. no viruses or spyware :-D

Does anyone have any ideas about what i can do?

btw, im running XP on an Inspiron 1100 with Symantec Antivirus 9.0.0.338

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: virus scan does not finish, winzip uses 100% CPU
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: virus scan does not finish, winzip uses 100% CPU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Hi Chris

This could be any number of things from what I have found by doing some checking. Out of curiousity, do you even have the Winzip program? Try doing your Norton scan in Safe Mode and see if it completes, and let us know how you make out with the results. Even if Norton can't fix this, we need to know what is is that you have and where it is on the computer. Directions for safe mode are here.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/1999101916343139

- Collapse -
ok

I have winzip installed. its in C:\Program Files\Winzip. I tried safe mode yesterday, and it was al slow as molassas going uphill....ill try it again today, maybe itll be faster...ill post the results later tonight

- Collapse -
OK Chris, and

Winzip should not start up in safe mode but we don't know if it is actually Winzip that is causing this OR is something has attached itself to Winzip. Hopefuly the scan will complete, even if it takes a long time and might give us some hints. Good luck.

- Collapse -
i got it

i finally got it.....it took about 3 hours of monkeying around with my computer....got it in safe mode, virus scan didnt run, tried to manually delete the file, it was in use, etc, etc, etc....finally, i killed the program, un read-only'ed C:\windows\system32\ (i know its probly not the best idea, but dammit, it worked), then deleted it.....it finally went away....then i re-readonly'd system32, deleted it from my network drives, and im good to go.....if anything else goes wrong, ill post the problem.

thanks for your help

Chris

- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome Chris, I hope it stays gone for you.

CNET Forums

Forum Info