Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus problems - possibly related to Antivirus 2009 and 360

by liberty_for_life / December 21, 2008 1:40 AM PST

Hello!

My sister's HP Pavillion running Vista Home Premium and Internet Explorer contracted Antivirus 2009 a little over a week ago. I'm not sure how she got it - she was browsing through some gaming sites, I believe. When she brought it to me, Antivirus 2009 had created a false Windows Defender icon in her taskbar tray and continually popped up saying that she had 32 infections, and to buy the full version to clear them up. I downloaded Malwarebytes and ran the quick scan, which found 11 infected files (several of those were in Program Files), and then removed them. She was running Avast as her antivirus software and kept it updated constantly (on a wireless DSL network at home, which is always on). My brother took Avast off the system and installed AVG, which he seems to like better than Avast.

A day or two later, my husband was browsing on my Gateway laptop, running Vista Home Premium (sorry, can't remember the model number, and the laptop is at my house), and ran across Antivirus 360. It gave us the option to download, which I canceled and ran Malwarebytes to ensure that my laptop was not infected. Malwarebytes found no infections, and I have not had another problem with the laptop, so I assume that it was not infected, but would have been, had we chosen to download and install Antivirus 360. Am I correct?

My sister has run across the same thing several times since I removed Antivirus 2009 over a week ago, but each time, I think it has not actually infected her computer because there are no windows, and neither Malwarebytes nor AVG's scanner find any infections. Last night, she ran across one that said it was "My Computer - Windows Internet Explorer"; it popped up several windows saying that her computer was infected and that she should download something to remove the infections. When we tried to cancel the popup, it came right back, so I ended Internet Explorer through the task manager. I've scanned her computer again, and neither Malwarebytes nor AVG have found anything. Is there anything else I should do to make sure that her computer is not infected since her browser keeps being hijacked?

Sorry for being longwinded - just wanted to make sure that I got all of the details in. Let me know if there is anything else you need to know; I'm not a techie, I'm just doing the best I can!! Thanks!!

Bethany

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus problems - possibly related to Antivirus 2009 and 360
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus problems - possibly related to Antivirus 2009 and 360
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You could give the following a try.....

Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
* Click the Scanning Control tab.
* Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):

Close browsers before scanning.
Scan for tracking cookies.
Terminate memory threats before quarantining.

* Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
* Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
* On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
* On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
* Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
* After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".

Did the scanner find anything?

Collapse -
Superantispyware appears to be a rogue application.
by Marv6 / December 21, 2008 9:32 AM PST

Google "is superantispyware legitimate?" and see the hits.

Collapse -
Now I am confused!!!
by Marv6 / December 21, 2008 9:45 AM PST

Maybe Superantispyware is legitimate? How does one tell for sure? It is all very confusing!

Collapse -
Did you spell it correctly?
by Larry38 / December 21, 2008 10:25 AM PST
In reply to: Now I am confused!!!

When you do a Google, spell it SUPERAntiSpyware.

I have the paid version on my PC.

Collapse -
Marv6
by phil66 / December 21, 2008 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: Now I am confused!!!
Collapse -
Scanning Done...
by liberty_for_life / December 21, 2008 10:32 AM PST

Thanks so much for responding!!

SUPERAntiSpyware found 150 adware tracking cookie items on my laptop. What are tracking cookies??

The program found 28 Adware tracking cookie items and 5 Rogue.Component/Trace on my sister's computer (the one that is having most of the problems). Are these Rogue items the ones that are causing her browser to redirect?

I can still view these items through "Manage Quarantined Items". Are they still on the systems or has it removed them??

Thanks!!

Thank you!!

Collapse -
Great Job......
by Marianna Schmudlach / December 21, 2008 2:07 PM PST
In reply to: Scanning Done...

Yes, the roque entries are "the bad ones".

Do you still have MalwareBytesAnti Malware on your computer? Update it and run it again.

Comes it up clean?

SAS (SuperAntispyware) has quarantined the bad items. You can delete them all.

Collapse -
Superantispyware stopped working
by sophiegirl123 / August 3, 2009 7:01 AM PDT

I downloaded the free version of SAS to my desktop. When I double click on the icon it keeps popping up SAS.exe has stopped working. I have never been able to bring it up to the scan page. What seems to be stopping it? Any help on this matter would be great! Thanks

Collapse -
I would...
by Carol~ Moderator / August 3, 2009 8:05 AM PDT

sohpiegirl...

I would wait for a further response to your last post at the SUPERAntiSpyware forum. Did you try the SUPERAntiSpyware FREE Edition Installer, as was suggested?

No doubt, you'll get the help you need at their forum, if the installer doesn't work.

Best of luck..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!