Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus Problems I think??

by brakewell / March 24, 2009 5:48 PM PDT

Hi There
I wonder if any of you people can help me. My son is using a New Advent Laptop with Vista Premium and AVG antivirus.

The other day AVG said he had a virus svchost.exe and he noticed some of his files had been disoriented. I told him to update AVG and do a full scan which he did and he said it came up with two viruses. I told him to make a System Restore point and then let AVG remove the both viruses.

He did this and when he restarts?s it now comes up with a dialogue box.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the bar at the top of the dialogue box it says ?QSD_1.2?
In the main section of the box it states ?The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable?

?Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package ?OSDInstall.msi? in the box below.

The box below is a Use Source box with a path in it to:
C:\Applications\Drivers\OSD\
You have four options with this dialogue box
1. to close it down using the white cross on a red background
2. Click the OK button
3. Click the Cancel button
4. and finally there is a Browse button so you can select a different directory.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Clicking the cancel button or the X rsults in it reapearing and you have to do that quite a few times before it goes away.

He has not installed any software recently and he has no Idea what OSD_1.2 is. I asked him if this was happening before he took the viruses out, he said not.
I told him to do a system restore before AVG removed the viruses to check this. Once restored the dialogue box still came up?. So I told him to undo the restore he had just done.

The laptop is trying to install something and can?t find it in the location in the dialogue box above.
He has listed what is in AVG and I have included it below.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Deleted";"23/03/2009, 00:01:19";"File";"C:\Program Files\DriveSentry\DriveSentry.exe"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Deleted";"22/03/2009, 23:58:07";"File";"C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 23:25:09";"File";"System"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 23:12:53";"File";"C:\Program Files\DriveSentry\DriveSentry.exe"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 23:10:29";"File";"C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 22:50:01";"File";"System"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 22:25:44";"File";"System"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 01:03:27";"File";"System"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"22/03/2009, 00:59:11";"File";"System"
"Potentially harmful program Logger.GWI";"C:\Windows\System32\kbfiltr.sys";"Potentially dangerous object";"21/03/2009, 10:59:37";"File";"System"

Also the keylogger was listed in the resident shield in AVG

How do we stop this trying to install each time he starts

Any Help would be very much appreciated.

Kindest Regards Tony B.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Problems I think??
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Problems I think??
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Virus Problems
by techservices24 / March 24, 2009 7:54 PM PDT

Please scan your computer for the viruses, spyware issues.
First of all delete all the temporary internet files from your computer and after that follow all these steps :--

1. Scan your computer by using any updated antivirus program.
2. Try to install and download the "Antimalwarebytes" (freely available)
3. Try to update "Antimalwarebytes".
4. Scan your computer using the "Antimalwarebytes".
5. Follow the same procedure for "Superantispyware" as you done for "Antimalwarebytes".

Collapse -
Nice try, but
by Tarq57 / March 24, 2009 9:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus Problems
Collapse -
I have the same problem and have tried several solutions
by chrisallenealing / March 27, 2009 1:46 PM PDT

On my machine the file is named OSD_1.4.msi but it's exactly the same problem.

AVG quarantined part of the osd files. OSD by the way is "ON SCREEN DISPLAY". I did some searching and found this link in another forum. I have downloaded and installed the file (i had to install WINZIP to open it) but i am now up and running again. The file is for a different type of laptop however the ECS g10il is the same netbook but badged differently.

http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWebSite/Products/ProductsDetail.aspx?detailid=942&CategoryID=3&DetailName=Driver&MenuID=132&LanID=0

Copy and paste this into browser then when the page opens scroll down until you find the OSD file.

However, AVG removes this file also. The only choice seems to be to reinstall the file after each AVG scan. Just click the Restore As option in AVG's virus vault. Same goes for the kbfiltr.sys file although I had succcess in adding it to AVG's PUP exceptions. In other words it now ignores it and doesn't remove it. I think it's safe to say that as these files are installed by the manufacturer they're not in any way viruses but do act in the same way as key loggers. It seems to stop the "Function" or "Fn" range of keys working when it's removed.

If you need to find the OSD installation file click Start> Search> All files and folders. Type the file name OSD_1.2.msi.exe and incluce the option to search hidden files and folders. When you find it click on it to reinstall OSD.

Collapse -
OSD_1.4.msi and AVG problems
by stuartidell / July 21, 2009 10:03 PM PDT

I have exactly the same problem and need to get hold of the OSD_1.4.msi file. The original disks supplied with the Advent 4213 are in my home in a different country so unavailable.

When I click on the link given in the previous post, I can see no OSD download. Can anyone tell me which file it is in the listv that I need to download?

I have a 3 sim card and the computer is not recognising it - I think because the OSD has been disabled by AVG antivirus. I've been to the virus vault but it's been emptied and I suppose the OSD files have disappeared.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Stuartidell

Collapse -
Link to download OSD.msi (original version) and OSD1.4.msi
by chrisallenealing / November 27, 2009 10:40 AM PST

For anybody else who has the same problem here are the original (OSD.msi) and updated (OSD_1.4msi) versions of the OSD file. Save the file then click to install.

http://cid-b1f2ce480a70e6f4.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/OSD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?