Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus or Hacker?

Here's the scenario. A Yahoo email account had emails forwarded from the inbox, which the user did not send. They were sent to all the contacts in the address book. Could a virus forward emails? If it was a virus, could the virus forward a select few messages? All the messages? If there was a virus, then theoretically the recipients anti-virus program would have caught them. This did not happen, so I'm assuming it was not a virus but a hacker. Your thoughts? I'm just curious to know if a virus could do such things. Or if it was a hacker. The email account in question was checked by Yahoo, verified no virus present, and the password was changed. Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus or Hacker?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus or Hacker?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
worm of some type of

In reply to: Virus or Hacker?

Collapse -
So it could be a worm?

In reply to: worm of some type of

Thank you for your response. I'm well aware of those programs and use them. This particular situation is even more weird. I heard of this situation from a friend of a friend. The owner of the PC in question is on vacation. This happened in his absence. We've discussed, debated, contacted family members who have taken the necessary security measures and hopefully locked it up. My question to this forum is whether or not a virus/worm could create this activity. Or was the email account hacked. As much as I read/research/learn, I haven't heard of a virus/worm that would forward selected emails. My gut instinct tells me this activity was probably intentional and malicious. Just curious.

Collapse -
as roddy pointed out

In reply to: So it could be a worm?

it COULD be, but best bet is contacting yahoo about the situation. they will determin what to do about it....remember as well, if that particular address is in someone else's infected computer, then that is another way of spoofing it, with yahoo or any other web based mail, that is always an option,,,,case in point, my sister's yahoo email kept coming into my yahoo inbox infected...her system was clean....it came from someone elses address book that had hers in it..

Collapse -
It COULD be a lot

In reply to: Virus or Hacker?

of things. It COULD be a worm, virus, hacker, etc. Also it COULD be that the address is spoofed and the e-mails aren't really coming from there. If you have determined for sure by running multiple scans from multiple programs that there is no virus present in these e-mails and also considering that Yahoo e-mail is web based, I would tend to think the it's spoofed but that is just MY opinion. The easiest way to fix it in that case if it doesn't stop on it's own is to change the e-mail address.

Collapse -
Thanks

In reply to: It COULD be a lot

Thanks for all your help and comments. I do not see these people often, so it would be days or weeks before I hear about this again. If I discover new information I'll post again if needed. Again, thank you.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome.

In reply to: Thanks

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.