General discussion

virus/malware invasion... help!

I have an e-machine... have had it for almost 4 years. WIndows xp installed then... we are on dial up (having a hard time getting to any of my OS info because the malware/virus has made it impossible to pull up the information and many of my programs... the message will come up saying that the program cannot be found or it will ask me how to open the file and I have to browse the choices at which time I find the name of in the list for the exact program I'm trying to open and then nothing happens... this occurs with my games, my browser-Flock, my anti-virus program, my OS information and computer data, so far most of the programs except e-mail and my weatherbug so far)

I had pop-up windows announcing this malware invasion through an fake anti-virus icon that landed on my desktop. The pop up's became more and more serious. I was able to download the superantispyware program after shutting down and rebooting my computer. It appeared to work but after that is when I noticed my system was not allowing me to open my web browser and wasn't recognizing other programs I tried to open.

Now I can't run the anti-spyware program or download any of the anti-virus programs. This thing (I'm not sure if it's a virus or malware attack again?) has taken out my firewall from what I can detect and my anti-virus program (I cannot seem to find them and what I did find I cannot open)

I'm not the most experienced person with a computer (as you probably can already tell) but I am able to figure a few things out and would like help restoring things.

I didn't load this computer to begin with so I don't have any back-ups that I know of. I'm really desperate to see if I can do anything by myself before taking it in. If I have to take it in somewhere I will but I'd like to get things working by myself if possible.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: virus/malware invasion... help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: virus/malware invasion... help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: virus/malware invasion... help!

motherofmany6, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the file to the problem computer.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

- Collapse -
malware/virus invasion issue continued

I was able to get the process completed. It concerned me that it said it could download the file but it could carry some malware so I needed to be careful about loading this file. It completed in any event I used to have a way to clear cookies and all but I can't seem to get to that. (Just one more thing I wanted to do to get any potential malware out of my computer)and when I rebooted the computer none of the annoying pop up windows were there but I still can't get to my programs (the same issues remain) and I can't get my AVG to work or to reinstall... can't install other anti-virus programs or my firewall (again same issue that the computer doesn't recognize the programs and wants me to "choose a program to open the file")

Is there any way to resolve the issues of getting my programs to work correctly.

- Collapse -
Without using such fixes?

The site noted is well known for such fixes. If such fixes are unacceptable then reinstalling the OS and more protection (firewall and more) is the fix?

Tell more.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info