Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Virus in Restore Point?

by ervinn / August 4, 2007 12:56 AM PDT

I'm using Ad-Aware to scan my computer. The Ad-Aware programs always hangs while scanning inside the \System Volume Information\_restore\ directory. I'm guessing this is where Restore points are written to and that there is a file in a restore point that causes trouble for Ad-Aware.

I want to clear this up so I removed all Restore points by turning off Restore points in Control Panel|System. However, after doing so my anti-virus program found a virus in \System Volume Information\_restore\ and Ad-Aware still hangs while scanning inside the _restore directory.

When I try to view the contents of \System Volume Information a message pops up saying it is unaccessible and access is denied.

Would someone please help me clear out the nasty things that are hiding inside my computer, particularly inside the \System Volume Information\_restore\ directory?

Thank you in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus in Restore Point?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus in Restore Point?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link on how to gain access to that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 12:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
re;virus in restore point
by azyardies / August 4, 2007 9:03 AM PDT

DId u try to scan in safe mode? these types of viruses in system volume can be tricky to get rid of. Try using 'hijack this' and post your results to a reputable forum like bleeping computers or ; also try spybot search and destroy. I was told also to clean out the temp files and other unecessary files. I've used ccleaner & clean up.
Keep in mind that you may have to use several other programs to do the job. And it may take time. also, some online scanners are good too. good luck

Collapse -
Turn off the system restore service.
by Me, Myself and You / August 4, 2007 10:54 AM PDT

Then (from safe mode if necessary) delete System Volume Information.

Then save yourself a whole load of future hassles by not bothering to turn the service back on.

Collapse -
Not sure about that.....
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 4, 2007 8:52 PM PDT

The advice, "Then save yourself a whole load of future hassles by not bothering to turn the service back on", is not one I would normally give.

Creating System Restore points has saved me from misery many times.

Mark

Collapse -
Whatever works for you :)
by Me, Myself and You / August 5, 2007 6:50 AM PDT

I myelf dont like SR. But yes, in the past, in my novice years, it too did save me. I just prefer to be without it now, and have so far not suffered.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?