Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

VIRUS in ASK toolbar came with INCREDIMAIL cannot remove

by laetyaime / December 8, 2008 6:42 PM PST

I have been having this problem for about a year now. I downloaded Incredimail and by accident installed a weird suspicious Ask toolbar that I cannot remove now even using special softwares that are supposed to delete stuff the Windows XP control panel won't delete - and it won't, I get an error message that the module can't be found or something - this has happened to many other people apparently and I have searched and searched for solutions but couldn't find any people always come up with the same "oh it's not a malware - it's easy to uninstall" etc. but NO it's IMPOSSIBLE HELP ME please I feel like my computer is totally infected and there's nothing I can do Sad

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: VIRUS in ASK toolbar came with INCREDIMAIL cannot remove
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: VIRUS in ASK toolbar came with INCREDIMAIL cannot remove
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
BTW I wanna add..
by laetyaime / December 8, 2008 6:52 PM PST

..that I have an antivirus program installed: AVG free and Spybot Search and Destroy as well and that AVG just found a trojan in an Incredimail file - an old file, back on a user account I used to use but sort of got rid of well one time there was a problem and I created a new default user account with some Dell guy on the phone and now I have my old user account folder that I cannot delete cause of some files in it that are important apparently.. anyways.. the trojan was in there somewhere and my previous antivirus didn't catch it Avira Antivir free as well.

Anyways ALSO: I have disabled the toolbar from Firefox and IE but it still shows in plug-ins or add-ons or whatever and cannot be removed: as I said when I tried to remove it from the control panel, I got an error message that the module couldn't be found in Program Files something.. if necessary I can post the exact error message.. I tried to delete it with InstaKiller - wouldn't let me either, can't even delete the key!

I don't know what to do. I tried re-installing the Ask toolbar and it seemed like a different file, which I could easily uninstall unlike the other one.

I don't know if it means it's a virus or there's a corrupt file somewhere.. anyways I can't reformat and I don't have my Windows CD with me, so.. HELP me please tell me you know what this is and how to fix it Sad

Collapse -
SOLVED????
by laetyaime / December 8, 2008 7:52 PM PST
In reply to: BTW I wanna add..

I installed the CCleaner program as recommended on so many sites.. and oh my it seems to have gotten rid of it and did a wonderful job cleaning my hard drive and registry, for free!!!! I am not 100% positive there really are no remains of that file though.. maybe in hidden folders? I don't know, what do you suggest?

Collapse -
More Info Might Help ,OS etc as ABOVE IN RED
by tobeach / December 9, 2008 3:40 PM PST
In reply to: BTW I wanna add..

If the add on/ toolbar/plug in cannot be removed, it 's probably because it's active/in use. You can stop the activity by either using Control/Alt/Delete buttons all pressed at once to bring up "Task Manager" and then find active trouble files by name listed there & click Stop processes for each. They then can be manually deleted.

You can also stop most of them by entering "Safe Mode" so they don't load & run & ,while still in safe mode, proceed to delete/un-install.
How 2 get 2 Safe Mode.. http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

May be important to write down the exact path of
"the trojan was in there somewhere" to be able to find and delete.

Possible "can't find in program files" is because it has already been removed? (By Dell guy"?). Plug-ins are usually removed or disabled from the Plug ins sections of FF &/or IE. Hope this helps some. Happy

Collapse -
To Un-install Plugins in Firefox
by tobeach / December 9, 2008 3:56 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?