Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Virus got me

by Turin2000 / April 2, 2005 4:17 AM PST

The other day I found out that my computer had been infected with a virus in the boot up files. I used AVG to remove the virus, but now windows won't recognize my D drive. Everything else boots up fine. It's still listed in BIOS, and if I start up the computer with old Win 98 everything is fine. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Turin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus got me
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus got me
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell more.
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2005 4:48 AM PST
In reply to: Virus got me

"A virus in the boot up file".
Do you know any details, such as the name of the virus and wbat 'boot up file'?

"Old Win 98".
What's old Win 98, and especially, what else do you boot in? A 'new Win 98', XP? Dual boot system?

What happens if you boot from a boot diskette with cd-support, note the drive letter assigned to the cd-rom (say d: or r: ) and do dir d: (or dir r: ) - with a CD-ROM in the drive, of course? A DOS-error message could be helpful.

Kees

Collapse -
Virus
by Turin2000 / April 2, 2005 7:50 AM PST
In reply to: Tell more.

Sorry I should have been more detailed. I know I should have but I didn't get the name of the virus. I have an old copy of win 98 installed on my D drive, so I switch my bios to boot from the D drive and both C and D drives are recognized. I need to know what boot file might have been corrupted and replace it.
Thanks
Turin

Collapse -
virus
by Amos16 / April 4, 2005 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus

Please give more details, as Kees asked you to, including present OS, so someone can help you. Amos.

Collapse -
Re: virus damage
by Kees Bakker / April 4, 2005 4:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus

I assume c: and d: are phywical drives, not logical drives on the same hard disk, or the BIOS wouldn't see them.
The only thing I can think of is to execute a MS-DOS sys-command to the old disk after booting from the new disk. That would be sys d: after switching the BIOS (the old disk you boot from is C; then and the new disk d: ). This puts some basic I-O files on the disk. After that, you should be able to boot from the new disk, and see the old disk in MS-DOS at least (use dir d: to have a look). If it works from MS-DOS type win to enter Windows and see what Windows thinks about it.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Try this
by Dragonbssj / April 5, 2005 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Virus got me

WARNING THIS WILL DELETE ANY AND ALL FILES AND DATA ON PC

OKAY here you go

Microsoft's Windows 98 SE Install step by step OR WINDOWS ME

CD Install on Blank Hard Drive

What you will require to do this walkthrough is
1.A Windows 98 CD or Windows ME
2.A Computer with CD-ROM access
3.Floppy Boot
4.KillDisk
5.Windows 98SE/ME boot disk

To start this Windows install. First check that the first boot device in your system BIOS is set to the CD-ROM Drive.

( To find out how to access the BIOS please refer to your motherboard manual or the manufacturer of your computer. (The system bios can usually be entered on boot, usually by pressing the F1, F2, F8, F10 or DEL key. Make sure you save the settings before exiting))

If you are unsure or don't want to enter the BIOS then just test the computer by putting the CD-ROM in the drive and rebooting the computer. This is the recommended way to install windows.

You will know that your computer will/has booted of CD-ROM when the following screen appears.

PART 1
NOTE:You should Kill your Hard Drive Again then format it to FAT32 from NTFS
HOW TO DO SO
Download these files (http://www.BootDisk.com/)

Windows 98 OEM
http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads/BootDisks/boot98.exe

Windows 98 Custom, No Ramdrive

http://1gighost.net/randyboy/boot98c.exe

Okay got that floppy done?

right now how to KillDisk your HardDrive

Download KillDisk
http://download2.lsoft.net/killdiskfloppysetup.exe

Okay now that you have those 2 Floppys you are now ready to install windows 98

1st use the KillDisk so have your KillDisk in your computer then turn it on it will autoly read your computer and press 0 to open killdisk then select your hard drive then press F10 to Start. It will ask to enter "ERASE-ALL-DATA" type and press enter.

Once that is done turn off your computer then input your Windows 98 Boot Disk from http://www.troyedwards.com/downloads/BootDisks/boot98.exe okay now what you do here is press the option with CD-ROM once its done loading what you do from here is read 4 you CD-DRIVE letter. remember that letter 4 your drive then it should have A: type "scandisk" and press enter. once done press Esc. then it should still read A: now type "fdisk" if you need to set a potation. now enter this when it has A: on screen " FORMAT C: " if it says cannot read drive then restart your computer then use the Windows 98 Boot still. and press option with CD access.

Now once done loading ur drives it should read A: now type " FORMAT C:" it should say this will erase any data on hard drive. yes to that and it should start formating your hard drive. now once this is done you are now able to install a clean Windows ME or Windows 98 once saying A: again type the letter for your CD DRIVE like this A: type E: enter now it should say E: or whatever letter your CD DRIVE is. Now type " setup.exe " and setup will now run and install to your computer.

im only 16 so yea let me know if its works i suppose

Dragonbssj@juno.com

Collapse -
Dragonbsjj ...
by Kees Bakker / April 5, 2005 5:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Please read through Toni Hacklers post http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=63953&messageID=759254&tag= for the preparations you should do before erasing the hard disk (making a detaild list of your hardware and get the drivers). You should have mentioned these precautions.
And Toni's post tells much more about using FDISK. You only mention to run it, but that's not selfexplanatory on a totally empty hard disk.

It would have been helpful also to specify the things to do after installing Windows totally fresh:
- install drivers
- install antivirus
- install firewall
- install Internet-connection and mail-account
- visit Windowsupdate for ALL security patches
- install all the applications
- reorganise desktop and Start Menu
- restore all data from the backup

I wonder if the situation of this poster is serious enough already to warrant this solution.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.