General discussion

Virus? Foreign E-mail Accounts Opening on My Computer

I'm so thankful to find this forum, and I will be thrilled to receive any advice you can offer. My situation is that about a month ago, I hopped on my home computer to find a strange Gmail account open. I usually leave my account open all the time, so it was if I had logged off of my account and a new person had logged in (except that I had NOT logged out). I did not know this person, but I had full access to his messages, so I checked it out and noticed he was really into social marketing and seemed to be using the account for business purposes, Twitter, Dig, FB, etc. I ended up just sending myself an e-mail from his account, so I could save the address.

Nothing happened again until last night, when the very same thing happened, but this time with my Yahoo e-mail account. It was a different person's e-mail account this time, but the person again seemed to be into article/social marketing, OnlyWire, Twitter, etc.

Like before, I sent myself and e-mail from the person's account for my records and then logged off of it and back into mine. Then, this morning same thing happened yet again with my Gmail account. Different person, also into Internet marketing.

I have McAffee Anti-Virus and AVG Anti-Virus. They all say I'm clean. I ran a Spybot Search and Destroy and it revealed no problems.

When I ask my techie friends, they all just ask me if I have anti-virus, anti spy-ware etc, and I do have these things. I'm out of ideas, so I thought I would come here.

Do you think this is a virus? What can I do? Thank you so much!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Virus? Foreign E-mail Accounts Opening on My Computer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Virus? Foreign E-mail Accounts Opening on My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
More Info

Just ran a Malware scan, and it came up clean as well. I'm totally stumped!

- Collapse -
What I Would and Wouldn't Do..

J..

You asked what you can do. The first thing I would suggest is resetting the passwords on all your accounts. You wrote at one point, "Like before, I sent myself and e-mail from the person's account for my records and then logged off of it and back into mine. Then, this morning same thing happened yet again with my Gmail account. Different person, also into Internet marketing."

Do you think it's a coincidence it happened again the next morning? I would refrain from sending anymore emails "for your records". Plain

In addition to changing your password (if not your account/s), read "Keeping your data secure" and also, "Know If Someone Else is Using Your Gmail Account". The latter being similar to this, which was posted at the Gmail Blog a few weeks ago, "Detecting suspicious account activity".

You also wrote, McAfee and AVG both reported you clean. A bit off-topic, but do you have both A/V's installed on the same machine? Most security companies frown upon having more than one running. The reason I ask is because I didn't think McAfee would install if another A/V was present. It's TOTALLY unrelated to your problem, but just thought I'd mention it, if it happens to be the case.

I'm sure you'll get some additional feedback.

Best of luck..
Carol

- Collapse -
Thank you, but here's the thing...

I sent an e-mail from the foreign Yahoo account that was open on my computer last night, went into the sent files and deleted it. I thought it was important to do this in the case of a fraudulent situation, to prove that something strange was happening with this particular person (in the case that there is identity theft or another major security issue). This morning, it was a completely different account open on my computer--this time Gmail. So while I do not think it is a coincidence, I guess I would rather have evidence than just log off from these accounts without any information. Do you not agree?

I am changing the passwords on my accounts; however, it is not *my* e-mail accounts that are being hacked. Nothing suspicious at all has happened within my accounts (in sent messages or inbox). I've experienced no changes in the way my Internet or computer works, other than these three instances of having a 3 different strange e-mail accounts open on my computer.

I'm going to check out these links you provided. Thank you for your reply.

CNET Forums

Forum Info