Computer Help forum

General discussion

Virus - Dialer-Instant access

by Anom / August 13, 2005 10:45 AM PDT

My Norton anti virus keeps finding the file msclock32.dll in the system32 folder, but I am unable to find the file. Nortons will not delete it, clean it, or quarantine it. I have been to the norton site and followed instructions there for removing the virus, however I cannot find the other files the say to remove only the one mentioned.
Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this file, or what it is hiding in. Iam looking for a solution that will not cost me money, as I am broke at the moment.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus - Dialer-Instant access
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus - Dialer-Instant access
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Don, Have You??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 13, 2005 12:34 PM PDT

...restarted the computer into Safe Mode, then run a full system scan with Norton? (After starting into Safe Mode using the link below, open "My Computer", then RIGHT click on the C drive, choose "Scan for viruses".

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

By the way, which operating system are you using?

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
thank you
by Anom / August 18, 2005 4:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Don, Have You??

Yes I have tried safe mode. I am running XP Home sp2 plus all updates, plus office pro and updates.

Collapse -
Don, This Time Try?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 19, 2005 8:04 AM PDT
In reply to: thank you

..Most files that are in the System32 folder are "System Files" and unless you allow Windows Explorer to "show" those files, you won't find it. Have you tried this: First, restart into "Safe Mode" again. Now, RIGHT click on the Start button, choose "Explore". When the Explorer window opens click on "Tools" in the upper left, choose "Folder Options" , now click on the "View" tab, then place a dot/tick in "show hidden files and folders", then UNCHECK the box next to "Hide protected operating system files", (choose "OK/Yes" when it then asks "Are you sure?" and UNCHECK the box next "Hide extensions for known file types".

Now use the Explorer window to navigate to the C\Windows\System32 folder and manually delete the "bad" file in question.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
input is appreciated
by Anom / August 19, 2005 5:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Don, This Time Try?

Yup, done all that, I have also removed hard drive from machine and connected it as a secondary drive to another computer so none of the operating system of system files were in use, still could not find the file. putting it back together tomorrow and will rescan it.

Collapse -
by Anom / August 29, 2005 2:44 PM PDT
In reply to: input is appreciated

Have reassembled my laptop and still no sign of the file, don't know what I've done that fixed it, but it seems fixed.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?