Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus Creating History Entries?

by wrytat / August 19, 2007 10:11 AM PDT

We installed Google toolbar on some of our workstations. The toolbar will save the Google search history, which some of our users apparently didn't know. So one day, we discovered a lot of similar entries in the search history under Google toolbar. The entries are mostly about someone nude, just with a different name. And the names are those usual celebrities, or things you see in your SPAM mail.

I'd like to ask if it could be a virus, spyware or something like that that created these entries? Is there any kind of virus that can possibly create this? Or it must be the user's behaviour?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Creating History Entries?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Creating History Entries?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wrytat
by tomron / August 19, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

I don't know if its a virus,or at least I never heard of it.

Its probably what you said,"must be the user's behaviour"

Have you run any scans?

Tom

Collapse -
Scanned
by wrytat / August 19, 2007 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: wrytat

Yes, I ran some scan before. Currently, there's no virus detected. But a few months ago, the computer was infected with some virus.

But anyway, you have not heard of any virus that caused such behaviour? I just find it quite weird because the entries all look similar and like those generated by SPAM, because they includes all the common celebrities names, and terms like asian, bollywood, and etc. The variety is too broad. If it's really what the user searched for, I think he has a vast preference.

Or could it be done by those links from the SPAM email that he received? There's no way that I can find out?

Collapse -
OK
by tomron / August 19, 2007 2:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Scanned
Collapse -
Google search history...
by Marianna Schmudlach / August 19, 2007 3:25 PM PDT

I found the following:

Now when you go to pages across the web -- without clicking on them from search results -- Google seems to be making copies of these pages as well. I'll check on this, but if so, it leads to another issue. Is Google making copies of pages if site owners have blocked from spidering or caching (for more on blocking, see yesterday's Google Releases Improved Content Removal Tools article). If so, should it be doing this?

Is almost in the middle of this page:

Google Search History Expands, Becomes Web History

http://searchengineland.com/070419-181618.php#searching

Could that be the case?

Collapse -
Sorry...
by wrytat / August 19, 2007 6:01 PM PDT

Sorry, but I don't quite understand. Can you explain a bit more?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.