HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Virus Boot Disk for Raid Drives

by skimbel / August 21, 2005 8:31 AM PDT

Recently I had a problem in which my Windows XP machine went into a "boot loop" (constantly rebooting after getting to the splash screen). It turned out to be bad memory and the problem is fixed. However, when I was researching the problem the suggested possiblibities were memory, the agp440 service hanging up , or a virus. That got me to thinking about how to scan for viruses on my machine. I have a boot disk made by my virus protection software. However, I am running 2 SATA drives as a striped raid as my boot drive. Just out of curiosity I booted with my virus scan disk and it couldn't even see the data on the drives. I searched the web site of the virus protection software, but nothing about a raid. I used to know how to load drivers at boot up in the old DOS world now I'm not sure. How would I do a clean boot with a raid to do a virus scan? Could I just add a batch file to the virus disk. Does the himemory system still exist to load drivers into? Thanks for any help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus Boot Disk for Raid Drives
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus Boot Disk for Raid Drives
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's called backup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 10:31 AM PDT

Such a boot disk is slim to no coverage for errors. Can you share what you do for disasters such as machine theft, lightning strike, tsunami, etc?

Do you have what you can't lose to restore on a new machine?

As to said boot disk, the RAID maker should be pestered for that.

Bob

Collapse -
Backup
by skimbel / August 21, 2005 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: That's called backup.

Actually I keep all my data on separate drives. The operating system and programs that need speed are on the raid. I do backups of my settings and e-mail. I also keep my virus software updated. I keep a current recovery disk of Windows updates and all my drivers. I can do a total re-install if needed. Doing a clean boot to do a virus scan was something I didn't know how to do and was curious if anyone did. BTW, I live on high ground in case of tsunamis.

Collapse -
It's specific to the RAID.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2005 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Backup

Said boot CD/Disk will be specific to the RAID chip. You can try a KNOPPIX Boot CD to see if it sees the array today before you need it tomorrow. How is the vendor/maker as to support?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.