Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Virus/Blue Screen of Death

by dudetall / December 6, 2006 9:12 PM PST

Hello,
I have an unregistered Windows 2K operating system from a friend a few years ago and yesterday I got the bloodhound.w32.ep virus. I could connect to the internet for a very short time and then got booted. I could not update my Norton anti-virus software or go to websites like adaware, avg, etc...So, I went to the store to buy new anti-virus software. Norton would only run on XP which I don't have so I bought Kaspersky per the store's recommendation. It seemed to install fine but once I went to register, the computer shut down and restarted with the Blue Screen of Death. It now continues to do this. I get the stop:c000026C unable to load device drive and the error status 0xc000012F. Also says \??\c:\winnt\system32:12x32.sys cannot be loaded. I cannot boot into safe mode per the screens directions.
What should I do?
Do I need to install XP from scratch? I don't have a Win2000 CD since it was an unregistered copy.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus/Blue Screen of Death
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus/Blue Screen of Death
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: virus and BSOD
by Kees Bakker / December 6, 2006 9:22 PM PST

Dudetall,

There's no relation at all between registering your OS and having an original licensed CD. It isn't illegal at all to not register your OS, but it's clearly illegal to run it without a valid and paid for license. So, although, I admit you do have a problem, it's not that the OS isn't registered.

The only thing I can advise at the moment: do a clean install of any OS you like (Windows or Linux spring to mind). If you don't have a licensed Windows CD: buy one for the version you prefer.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
BSOD and virus
by dudetall / December 6, 2006 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Re: virus and BSOD

Thanks. I guess I meant to say that I didn't have a valid and paid for license.

Will the new software install even with the Blue Screen of Death and virus still on the computer?

Collapse -
Re: clean install
by Kees Bakker / December 6, 2006 11:55 PM PST
In reply to: BSOD and virus

A clean install is one with formatting the old hard disk, or at least deleting everything that is in the Windows and Program Files folders (so keeping your My Documents etc, which is useful if you don't have a current backup). This will most likely remove, and in any case de-activate the virus.
An install-over-the existing-installation most like keeps everything, including the virus.

You might have some trouble to install machine specific drivers, like motherboard drivers, if you don't have them and don't know what hardware you exactly have.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Dudetall
by jonny2000 / December 9, 2006 3:35 AM PST
In reply to: Re: clean install

I dont want to butt in here but ive had many problems with viruses & one in particular shut me down so i couldnt rectify the problem. But just before you reinstall i could pm you my solution if you like. Im not sure if posting it here would be within the guidelines of the forum & therefor i wont do so until ive checked it out. It saved my pc & a reinstall.

Collapse -
same problem with me
by shreyas_p / December 10, 2006 5:19 PM PST
In reply to: BSOD and virus

i've had the same problem ...the blue screen and the other things ..
according to me do a complete format of the whole HDD and reinstall of XP(or whichever u like) ..

the problem which i had was cuz of spyware (sypware intrusion also brings a blue screen)

Collapse -
Blue Screen-corrections
by castingRod47 / December 14, 2006 7:02 PM PST
In reply to: same problem with me

Number-1/if you can get to your Desktop/SAVE your FILES/FOLDERS to a CD or DVD..
Number-2/Turn OFF the PC..and Un-Plug the Power Cord..
Number-3/Depress your Front Panel POWER-Switch to ground all Connections..
Number-4/Remove all USB connections and SoundCards and what-ever is plugged in..Leave the Monitor and Mouse and Keyboard ONLY[connected]..
Number-5/Open the TOWER..remove all PC-cards-includeing the MODEM..
Number-6/Close the TOWER..PLUG-in the AC-120V Power Cord..Re-Start the PC..if you GET to YOUR Desktop and could NOT previously-->>SAVE ALL FILES/FOLDERS..
Number-7/from this point its a Matter of actually being a PC Desktop Administrator..You MUST have a Certified Operateing System..<<--with a Receipt of PURCHASE..
And also your External Hardware should be COMPATIBLE w/the OS..
Install the OS..and register..
Install the MODEM..Install your Internet CD..Install your Security Software and Update..and then UPDATE the OS..
Install your Program Software and CLICK each to OPEN/Update or Register if necessary..
Re-Check for UPDATES on ALL Previously Installed ITEMS..Be Sure all DRIVERS are properly Installed(check manuals Directions)or websites for DRIVERS..
Keep RECORDS of all Part Numbers and Serial Numbers and ID's..of all parts and packages and Software..Wrong Part Numbers or Serial Numbers or ID's will give you improper DRIVERS..
I like to do multiple RE-STARTS/like about seven..and between these RESTARTS just let the PC-sit about 5-20 minutes(depending)on your system..
That should give you a good PC.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?