HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Virus blocking youtube

by Chemica1 / July 9, 2009 6:18 AM PDT

Hi folks newbie here- had a search but could'nt find my problem so posting here.

I've developed a new problem- one I've never had before. I was on youtube when suddenly an error message caame up telling me I had a virus.. then the website went to a 'restricted site' and told me I had a virus and to check my security settings. I've spent all day running anti virus- first AVG, then when that did not work I uninstalled it tried Avast. No luck either. I've checked all my IE settings, security, restricted sites, reset to default etc.It does the same thing whether I'm on firefox or IE. Now it's beginning to target other sites.Funnily enough it restricted access to a forum site that seemed to be the same problem as mine.. coincidence..? I'm fairly certain it's not my IP.. well I suppose it could be but why so suddenly say I have a virus? Anyway I'm with pipex on 8meg unlimited. I don't download much except for watching youtube vids.

I can access if I go through a proxy server but I dont get the same speedy interface if I do- nor will it display my comments etc so I would like to have my system back!
I'm running Windows XP home edition on a E Sytem laptop, M420 1.6 GHz, 256 MB DDRII , intel 943GM (Calistoga)+ ICH7-M. Using I.E-8 and Firefox.

Help please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus blocking youtube
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus blocking youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please Do This...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 9, 2009 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Virus blocking youtube

In sounds like you've got one of the new "scamware" trojans that are out there. Please try the steps below:

On a friend or family member's computer, download the Malwarebytes installer and update files from the links below, copy them to a CD or flash drive, then transfer the files to the problem machine and use them. If you can't start the computer into "normal" windows, try installing, updating, and running the scans AFTER the computer is started into Safe Mode.. I use the sites below to download the installer file and the manual updater:

Once downloaded and before transferring them to the problem machine, rename the program installer "mbam-setup.exe" file to something else like "Gogetum.exe", then copy the installer file and the update file to a CD or flash drive.. Transfer the file to the problem machine, then install the "Gogetum.exe" file, then run the update to get the program current.. After that, run a full system scan and delete anything it finds.

Malwarebytes Installer Download Link (Clicking on the links below will immediately start the download dialogue window.)
http://www.besttechie.net/tools/mbam-setup.exe

Malwarebytes Manual Updater link
http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/database/mbam-rules.exe

Next, download the SuperAntispyware program and the manual updater from the links below. After running the Malwarebytes tool above, if you still can't download and install it directly from the problem machine, download it on a friend or family member's computer as well. After installing and updating SuperAntispyware, run another full system scan and delete everything it finds as well. As before, you may need to rename the installer file to get the program to install.:

SuperAntispyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

SuperAntispyware Manual Updater
http://www.superantispyware.com/definitions.html

In a few situations, in order for the program to run, it was also necessary to rename the main "mbam.exe" file also after installing it.. It resides in the C:\Programs Files\Malwarebytes Antimalware folder..

Hope this helps...

Grif

Collapse -
adobe flash player freezing and random system crashes.
by rajuncanajun / December 12, 2009 5:28 AM PST
In reply to: Please Do This...

As of the past 48hrs I've been unable to view any youtube videos or even use Facebooks scrabble properly. When it comes to the youtube vids they freeze within the first few seconds or within a minute but the buffering completes all the while the circular dotted waiting graphic is displayed. After the first fail I usually can get it to play again but only up to the same exact point and then not at all. This problem has been coupled with some random system crashes I'm running Win 7 64bit and using ie 8 as a browser. I've done exhaustive scans Nod 32 (trial version)came up clean, adaware (free version) froze after 5min finding 130 items in 95943 files, Norton 17.1.0.19 found 5 lowlevel cookies which it had no problem dealing with and after that adaware worked just fine (I think that not having deleted my temporary internet files or cookies for almost a month contributed to the ammount of items found and the hanging of adaware) and found nothing. Spydoctor found a cpl of low level cookies although it will only scan and then you must buy if you want to use it to fix. Zone Alarm (free version brand spanking new for win7 64bit) is the only significant change to my system that I can think of besides the uninstalling of Comodo firewall it's predecessor. Originally the crashes were accompanied by a blue screen and my computer would restart itself and after 3 of those yesterday they changed to the old school freeze where nothing (ctrl+alt+del)short of a manual restart would do. I'm sorry to be so long winded but I'm @ my wits end and can be found burning all my media followed by backing up any important information in preperation for a clean install. Please help.

Collapse -
Flash Not Supported On Win7 64 Bit Yet....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 13, 2009 2:49 PM PST

That certainly could be a major part of the issue.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks but
by rajuncanajun / December 14, 2009 3:50 AM PST

I've been running IE 32bit and everything was fine.

Collapse -
EXACTLY...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 14, 2009 6:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks but

It's the 64 bit programming that isn't supported.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Sorry I wasn't clear
by rajuncanajun / December 14, 2009 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: EXACTLY...

I mean I was running IE 32bit when the problem occured. I never really solved the mystery of why it stopped working, the crashes got out of control by this morning it was crashing on setup so I was forced to run in safe mode and complete my backup. I then went through with the clean install and all is well (so far). Thanks for your input.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.