General discussion

Virus blocking AVG and Windows Defender

I have a HP Pavillion Entertainment laptop running Vista Home which has a virus calling itself Security Tool. It tells me I have 300 Trojans and I need to install the software and to do that I need to purchase it and theres a box for credit card details ( like I am that stupid). I can't scan my computer because when I click on AVG it is blocking the window from coming up, I see it flash but it dosnt load. I can get into the control panel and other areas but can't access AVG or Windows Defender to scan my computer. Can anyone tell me how I can get rid of this. Thank you in advance for any advice good or bad that anyone has to offer me. Junglegirl.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Virus blocking AVG and Windows Defender
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Virus blocking AVG and Windows Defender
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Virus blocking AVG and Windows Defender
- Collapse -
Virus

Thank you so much for your help. I have been successful in removing "Security Tool" (I hate even typing it in case it sees me).
Just one thing I am stuck on, I don't know where to find my Hosts file, I have downloaded Hostsperm.bat onto my desktop but I am kind of stuck, am scared I am going to do the wrong thing regarding my Hosts file. Are you able to help me out with that, guess I am having a blonde moment or just plain tired and can't think straight I have been at it for a few hours now had trouble getting past the virus in the beginning, that's why I didn't attempt this until the weekend because I knew it was going to take awhile. Thank you. Junglegirl Grin

CNET Forums

Forum Info