Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

Virus and Trojan horses in the Java folder

by Haimon / May 15, 2006 5:12 PM PDT

Hello,
I am running Windows XP (v 5.1, SP2) and AVG as antivirus program. Today an AVG scan has identified 15 infected objects in the folder C:\Documents and Settings\My name\Application Data\Sun\Java\. In all the objects the Result was: ''Virus identified Java/ByteVerify'' and the Status: ''Infected, Embedded object''.
For 3 additional objects in the same folder -
(1) Result: ''Trojan horse Startpage.ADE'', Status: ''Infected, Archive''
(2) Result: ''Trojan horse Generic.PZK'', Status:''Infected, Archive''
(3) Result: ''Trojan horse Downloader.Generic.XTB'', Status: ''Infected, Archive''

System Restore to a date prior to virus appearance did not free the system of the virus and Trojan horses. Opening Windows Explorer but the above folder was not displayed, nor did it appear on running a Search.
Could you instruct me how to get rid of that stuff. Could I delete the entire Java application (how?) and reinstall it afterwards?

Thanks in advance,
Haimon

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virus and Trojan horses in the Java folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virus and Trojan horses in the Java folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Haimon.. In order to delete Java/ByteVerify
by Carol~ Moderator / May 15, 2006 5:53 PM PDT

from Application Data, you have to ''Show Hidden Files & Folders'' first. If these instructions are easier, try them. Once done, it will be display the files, at which point you can delete them through Window's Explorer, by right-clicking on each file and pressing delete from the ensuing context menu. If you have the paths for each of them, it shouldn't be a problem finding and deleting them. (If for any reason you do have a problem, you could try deleting from Safe Mode. BUT.. you do have to ''unhide'' the files first)

As an added measure, you could also delete the Temporary Internet Files within the Java's control panel. (Start>Control Panel>Java Cup. Depending upon which version you have, you should be able to locate ''cache'' or ''temporary internet files''. They are safe to delete)

I apologize if I am ''rushing through this'', but it's a little late ''in this part of the world''. I happened to see this post just before shutting down.

Good luck to you. If you have a problem with it, I'm sure some ''early birds'' will be around soon to assist you further.
Carol

Collapse -
Virus and Trojans deleted
by Haimon / May 16, 2006 1:44 AM PDT

Thanks Carol, and all the others.

On opening the hidden files there was no problem to delete all the infected files and archives.

By the way - I have ZoneAlarm Pro installed and routinely run CCleaner, CWShredder, AdAware and Spybot. They did not prevent nor detect the virus and the Trojans. Only AVG did.

Haimon

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great! I'm glad it went smoothly. And you're welcome!
by Carol~ Moderator / May 16, 2006 2:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Hi, Haimon! Yes! Easily done! See & Follow Instructions in .
by tobeach / May 15, 2006 6:01 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sorry, Haimon! Not My Best Instruction Set! This One's...
by tobeach / May 15, 2006 6:15 PM PDT

easier to follow (clearer):
Get CCleaner (Freeware). It's not an AV but an extensive temp/cache/application cleaner.
Download (& print out for reference) the Help file (descriptions of items to be cleaned), then download, save & install either the "Slim"(suggested) or "Basic"(if you need additional language files) version.These versions are 100% adware/spyware free.
Additionally, add the download page below to your IE Favorites or Bookmarks list and use it to check for updates about once per month.
In "Options", click on "Settings" and uncheck:
"automatically check for updates" to prevent getting an undesirable (adware toolbar) version from built in updater link.
I run CCleaner immediately before & after each net visit as it only takes under 5 seconds to clean.I also have it set to auto-run at boot up.
Help file to print out:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp

Download Free Program Link:
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

Since you're currently infected, after following directions below to install CCleaner, BUT BEFORE doing first cleaning, you will need to click on "Options" Button>then click "Advanced" & remove the check mark in box in front of: "Only delete files in Windows temp folders older than 48 hours".You need to empty ALL to be sure of removing infection.

Once you've run CCleaner & run another Virus Scan & come up as "no infection found"...You should re-open CCleaner and go in and re-check mark that same box for normal cleaning. Good safety feature for normal use.

You'll wonder how you survived without it. You're gonna Love it!!
Enjoy! Grin

Collapse -
You mentioned trojans
by tomron / May 16, 2006 1:16 AM PDT

In addition to the other info you received,you can try a program for trojans,such as EWIDO or trojan hunter

I know that you said that you tried this,but here is LINK in case you missed something.

Also AD-AWARE,I read that it removes Java/ByteVerify

Tom

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!