The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Virtualization support on the Mac

by MacHugger / March 26, 2006 2:18 AM PST

Apple may be developing virtualization software that would allow Windows to easily boot on the MacOS while still having MacOS active. I don't quite understand how this differs from Virtual PC, if at all, except Intel has apparently added (or will add) support for such things in its processors. They claim Apple is working closely with Intel and Microsoft on this. This will apparently be in the next version of OSX code named Leopard.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2006/03/20060324092148.shtml

-Kevin

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtualization support on the Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtualization support on the Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The question is...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 3:04 AM PST

What "Virtualization" are you using now?

Or in the past.

Bob

Collapse -
Virtual PC
by MacHugger / March 28, 2006 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: The question is...

I've tried Virtual PC on my Mac but I'm not a big fan of the speed and how it works. I hope that if Apple, Intel and Microsoft work together on a combined hardware/software solution for it, it will work way better than VPC.

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
How could it work better?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2006 8:48 PM PST
In reply to: Virtual PC

Let's say you are the CPU and I put you on on a 100 meter dash.

a. With 1 50lb bag of apples.
b. With 2 50lb bag of apples.
c. Just you.

What some don't comprehend that you still have your one (or dual core) CPU so as you load it up, it will slow down...

Virtualizing can't get around that you only have so much muscle to work with.

-> Have you seen VMWare?

Bob

Collapse -
Sorry Kev ...
by barret55 / March 26, 2006 12:21 PM PST

I had already beaten you to this article, just I guess no one saw it.

Guess I'm just not as cool as you are ... yet Happy

Still, I think this would be a very cool idea if it's true. Would love to be able to run Windows apps natively in OS X, although I'm guessing it may be limited to the Intel Macs.

-Terry

Collapse -
Oops
by MacHugger / March 28, 2006 7:21 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry Kev ...

Sorry, Terry. I usually do a quick scan to see if an item has been posted. Sometimes I don't go to the second or third page to check (or even catch it on the first page if I'm being sloppy) Happy

-Kevin S.

Collapse -
No worries Kevin ...
by barret55 / March 28, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Oops

I have more than my fair share of brain farts (sometimes seems like I have chronic brain gas .. haha)

I'll be gone on "vacation" all next week, so I'll have lots and lots to catch up on. Happy

-Terry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.