Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Virtual PC vs. a real PC

by Sugith / September 17, 2004 12:33 AM PDT

When I replace my PC with a Mac desktop to go with my iBook, I will still need to run Microsoft Money. Is it better/cheaper to use Virtual PC or to keep the PC and run it using the Mac's keyboard and mouse and a KVM switch?

Can the new iMac, for instance, be used to control a PC in this manner or should I install Virtual PC on the new Mac?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtual PC vs. a real PC
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtual PC vs. a real PC
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Virtual PC vs. a real PC
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2004 12:53 AM PDT

I don't need a KVM for simpler software on the PC/Linux/MAC since I can install...

http://www.tightvnc.com/

If you want a Mac native version look for plain VNC.

Bob

Collapse -
by kinnear3 / September 17, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

Sugith: Why not just use Quicken for Mac and instead of MS Money? This seems like an easier and simpler solution, over the long run, than either of your suggestions. This is what I did when I switched to Mac. According to the Apple web site, the iMac and the eMac come with Quicken installed at no extra charge.

Collapse -
by Old Coot / September 17, 2004 6:25 AM PDT

Kinnear3...did not dare go that far in my earlier reply to him...but it is a fact that Quicken is better and on both platforms which means it would be easy to transfer details.

I've been using Quicken since my old SE gave up for a CX (and now G4)

Collapse -
by Sugith / September 17, 2004 9:57 AM PDT

I would switch to Quicken for Mac, but I have several years worth of financial records in MS Money that I might have to access if the taxman asks.

Collapse -
by Old Coot / September 17, 2004 6:20 AM PDT

I have not tried it, being a Macoholic since my first Mac+.

I understand, however, that a software called Dave could be used to exchange information MAC to PC.

There is a new version of Virtual PC (v7) that is claimed to be faster by have not tried it. VPC 6 runs just about everything but much slower tan your PC. But is your use of MSMoney for only your personal affairs and that your "fortune" does not imply extended use, you might be able to live with VPC.

Good luck with your MAC...and if you can afford it, have a look at their new "contains all" flat computer,,,thin screen...17 to 20 ins...and which holds the computer and all...(think it will be theyr new iMac)

Collapse -
by Paulie / September 19, 2004 1:19 PM PDT

I know a lot of Mac users but I don't know any that are satisfied with VPC. So I would recomend the KVM switch with the new iMac.

http://www.apple.com/ (click on the image)

But if you only need your old records if the taxman asks then you should just back up your records to removable media and go with Quicken.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.