Mac OS forum

General discussion

Virtual PC question

by obone / January 16, 2006 12:39 AM PST

I'm looking at buying one of Apples new Mac Book Pro
laptop computers. It has the new Intel dual channel processor. My question is, will Virtual PC for Mac
run on this new machine. Appreciate your help because the Apple sales man was not sure and recommended that I not buy one of the new ones because he wasn't sure. ??
Thanks OB

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtual PC question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtual PC question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A new version will arrive., But I don't know when.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 12:57 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual PC question

This is one of those "stay tuned" areas.

Bob

Collapse -
MacBook Pro
by meatyocre / January 16, 2006 5:49 AM PST

...Or maybe we will see someone able to ''crack'' the MacBook Pro and have a dual boot machine OSX / XP. If not i think emulation should be faster since we are not going from PPC to x86.

Collapse -
Just as a matter of interest
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 8:23 AM PST

Do you need VPC for something really special, something that is not available on the Mac or are you thinking about games?

P

Collapse -
Maybe Of Interest
by obone / January 16, 2006 9:17 PM PST

No I don't do games. I have five or six programs that won't run on the MAC. Am upgrading from a G-3 desktop to a power book pro, for the portability.

Collapse -
PC programs
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 16, 2006 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Maybe Of Interest

5 or 6 seems to be a lot of PC programs for a Mac user. I guess this must be some sort of proprietary software for your work

P

Collapse -
5 or 6 programs
by obone / January 17, 2006 12:45 AM PST
In reply to: PC programs

Yes I run the below programs that are only ported to a PC.

Life forms,..Medical condition, diet history.
Woodturner Pro.. 3d woodturning design program.
Woodturning Studio..Open Segment woodturning design program.
Dr Dans... Fishing and hunting probability program
Loran/GPS program.. for GPS fishing spot mapping.

As you can tell I try and stay fit, do woodturning and like to fish. With the laptop I can take it with me to fish and or out in the shop to do woodturning.

Collapse -
That answers that question
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 17, 2006 8:41 AM PST
In reply to: 5 or 6 programs

Hopefully MS will gear up to the Intel version or at least produce a Universal Binary version of VPC shortly

P

Collapse -
VPC under rosetta?
by atiu4eva / January 18, 2006 10:21 AM PST

Would VPC run under Rosetta?

Collapse -
Possibly
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 8:42 PM PST
In reply to: VPC under rosetta?

The only programs that, apparently, do not run under Rosetta are those that use the Altivec part of the G4/G5 processor

P

Collapse -
question on interface between Mac and XP
by Capitaine Haddock / January 21, 2006 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Possibly

I use one piece of software for my work, called Trados, that only runs on PCs, and I need to seamlessly go back and forth between Trados and my Mac at the click of a mouse, which is possible right now, thanks to Virtual PC.

In case Virtual PC is abandoned on the new Mac Book, and I have to install XP on the same drive as Tiger on the new Mac Book in order to use Trados, would I be able to go back and forth and cut and paste seamlessly between Trados and Word on Tiger? (I don't want to use Word on a PC; the less I use XP the better I feel, plus I absolutely need colored folders, etc., which are not available in XP). If going back and forth seamlessly between the 2 environments is not possible, what could be done?

Thanks,

Capitaine Haddock

Collapse -
VPC and MacBook
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 3:31 AM PST

VPC is not going away and you are not putting XP onto the current MacBooks and having it work.
However, looking at your scenario , the answer to your question is "who knows"
Currently VPC on a Windows box allows the user to switch between various WIndows OS's, reasonably seamlessly.
There is no reason to suggest that the same would not be true if you are able to get XP to boot on the Macbook. Remember, the Macbook does not use a BIOS which XP requires to boot correctly

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!