General discussion

Virtual or Boot Camp

I have VMware Fusion 3 running Win 7 on an Intel MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard and it runs great.
Since it?s obvious if the Mac OS fails, I would be unable to run Windows also.

My questions are:

1. If Windows was installed in Boot Camp and the MackBook OS had failed, would I be able to access Windows? On boot, does Boot Camp need any files on the Mac OS after it is installed?
2. Next year when Apple comes out with the new OS and I upgrade, will it wipe the Virtual or just replace some files on Snow Leopard?

Thanks?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Virtual or Boot Camp
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Virtual or Boot Camp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
It depends

It depends, but let me just say I'm not a huge fan of Boot Camp. I work as an Apple repair tech (just not for Apple) and almost every single time I get some system coming in because it "won't boot" and has a defective HDD, I see that it's been partitioned for Boot Camp. Wipe out the partitions, install a fresh copy of Mac OS X, and it runs great.

Granted this could have something to do with the Windows partition having been overrun with malware and screwing up boot camp somehow, but honestly I don't see how that makes things any better. It still means boot camp is a lot more fragile than it should be. It gets even worse if you set Windows to be the default OS to boot, and then something goes wrong. That's not a fun mess to try and sort out, and I've had to do it a couple of times. It tends to block you from being able to boot from the optical drive, so you either have to yank the drive and wipe it with another system or net boot, and that's not something the average person will have an easy time doing.

Of course you're analysis is correct that if Mac OS X goes down, you can't very well use VMWare, so it's a pick your poison kind of situation.

As for the 10.7 upgrade, it shouldn't affect VMWare at all. If there are any incompatibilities, odds are it will be ironed out in an update that comes out ahead of 10.7's release because VMWare will likely be getting advance developer copies of 10.7 to test with. But if you're worried, hold off on upgrading for a couple of days, monitor VMWare forums, and see what kind of issues people have, or don't have. If all is quiet on the northern front, you can install the upgrade yourself, otherwise you can hold off until things have settled.

- Collapse -
Great info

Thanks for your time...

CNET Forums

Forum Info