HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

virtual memory problems in windows xp

by debrac62 / October 14, 2009 7:30 AM PDT

I keep getting a virtual memory pop up window on my computer when i have two windows open.
How do I stop this. It is interfering with my work.
Thanks to all that can help.
debrac

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: virtual memory problems in windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: virtual memory problems in windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
re: virtual memory problems in windows xp
by christo3d / October 14, 2009 7:50 AM PDT

Well that depends what OS you are running, how many programs are running in the taskbar, and how much RAM is installed on your PC. If you run under winsows XP I'd recommend atleast 1GB of RAM, and atleast 2GB of RAM for windows vista. Make sure no other programs are running in the taskbar that you don't need, and if need be, buy more RAM. You won't have any trouble finding good RAM unless you run a mini tower or something, and of course, it's relatively cheap. I bought 4GB of ram months ago for my PC and it cost me $70 CDN, which would be like $40 USD or something just to give youa general idea.

Collapse -
change the settings
by griplock / October 14, 2009 9:24 PM PDT

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
4.Under Virtual memory, click Change.
5.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change. In most computers its C:
6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to Custom size check box. You can enter the amount of memory you would like to reserve for Virtual memory by entering the initial and maximum size.
7.Click Set
Also set the size 1.5 times higher than your physical memory.

Hope this helps!
http://www.delete-computer-history.com/increase-virtual-memory.html

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.