PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Virtual memory crash

by cnote49 / January 25, 2006 1:54 AM PST

Im running XP Professional on a 6 year old compaq presario 5600i desktop 450mhz P3 256ram 13ghd. Problem is after start up there's not enough memory to open the "my computer" icon or the control panel. I have increased the PF, still didnt help. Can I get in somehow to dump some data or do I have to buy another dimm card???

Charles

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virtual memory crash
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virtual memory crash
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XP differs from Win 9X in that
by Ray Harinec / January 25, 2006 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Virtual memory crash

adding memory will actually increase the resources in XP.

Also clean out your temp and TMP folders. Also search these forums for many articles on how to clean out your computer.

Grif and Toni H are among the Mods with such posts.

Collapse -
Memory & HD Space
by CG-TG / January 25, 2006 2:41 AM PST

Start up in safe mode using F8 on the boot. I would not run Windows XP with less than 512 MB in any case. Clean out the temp files and remove stuff from the HD. If you have extra "cute" little programs that load to the task bar, remove them, they waste resources. If you want to maintain them, I would go up to 1 GB of RAM. Virtual memory is obviously using HD space. Any programs that you are not really using should be removed. Make sure you set the VM back to automatic once you clean house, and then restart the machine. While you are at it, make sure sure your Anti-Virus software is up to date, and make sure you are running a good Anti-Spyware program like CounterSpy. When you are all done, run the defragmentation on the drive from your accessories.

Collapse -
Charles, Try This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 4:11 AM PST

As the others have stated, you need more RAM...At least 512 MB and prefereably more.

Next, restart the computer into Safe Mode using the instructions in the link below. (Safe Mode should allow you to make some of the resource saving changes I'm going to suggest below.):

How To Start In 'Safe Mode'

Once in Safe Mode, then please follow all of the procedures in the links below to eliminate unnecessary start up programs and services and to delete all the junk files from your computer.

First, shut down unnecessary start up programs:

For Windows 2000/XP, ignore the first couple of sentences about checking "resources" and the "Performance" tab in the link below but follow the rest of the procedures including the "Services" links at the bottom.

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

Because the links for the "Services" are no longer functioning in the link above, use this one:

Services Guide For Windows XP

Next, clean out the junk files from the machine:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

And if you're using Service Pack 2 on the computer, try tidying up a little using the link below:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still issues
by cnote49 / January 26, 2006 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Charles, Try This..

Hi Grif, you probably thought it would come to this but,
I followed all of your instructions and did a defrag and disk cleanup and check up. The hardware is fine and I have 4gb of hard drive space open. Still when I start up I get the Virtual Memory to low warning. I increased the PF to 768Mb and now the CPU level from task manager performance shows a cool 10 -50% activity level. Dont know what else except more memory (ram) or maybe I have a virus. Your thoughts?,and thanks for your help. The things I changed as per your instructions at least got me back to working. Everything is working really slow though. Dont worry Im writing to you from another computer. No viruses. Let me know if you think of anything else.

Charles

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?