Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

virtual CD drive wont uninstall

by freebirthfreddy / March 29, 2004 5:07 AM PST

I have a Gateway 700S P4 2.4, Ram:512, HD: 80GB:40GB free 90% system resources free; Cd-rw drive Dvd-ram drive, floppy drive. Win XP home SP1

I had Farstone Game Drive installed (a cd emulator program, it creates a virtual cd drive then you can run cd images from your hard drive), had no problems, then my cd burner stopped buring cd's. I figured it had something to do with the Game Drive program, no big deal, i'll just unistall it. So i uninstalled Game Drive, but it left a virtual drive listed in my Device manager. but the drive listed was not listed as a virtual drive, my computer thinks it's a physical drive,the problem is when I unistall the drive (that really doesn't exist anyway)everytime I restart my computer, plug and play thinks it has found a new PHYSICAL cd drive, and it installs it for me.

Any ideas on how to get my computer to realize that the drive doesnt really exist?
thanks
AJ

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: virtual CD drive wont uninstall
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: virtual CD drive wont uninstall
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:virtual CD drive wont uninstall
by Stan Chambers / March 29, 2004 7:19 AM PST

I'm not familiar with the program that you mentioned.
However, with some programs you must use a different technique to uninstall.
If you have a cd or exe. file of this software, you may want to try this.
I recently had a similar problem with Nero.
I put the cd in the drive and started setup, as if to install the program. During the process it gave me an option to un-install.
I haven't a clue if this will work for you, but it can't hurt anything to try.
Good Luck

Collapse -
Re: Another thought.
by Stan Chambers / March 29, 2004 7:23 AM PST

If you haven't done this already, go into the device manager, if the device is listed there, right click and select uninstall.

Hope some of this ramling will somehow help.

Collapse -
Tried that.
by freebirthfreddy / March 30, 2004 1:33 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Another thought.

yeah, the problem, as far as I know, is not in the program itself. I found out how to uninstall it manually (including editing the registry) to make sure that every trace of it was gone so it can't affect my settings(I hope)

And I also tried going into the device manager and uninstalling the drive in question. the problem is, very time i restart my computer, the plug-n-play utility "finds" "new hardware" and installs it for me.

that is what is so frustrating, the drive really doesn't exist but the computer keeps installing it, like a real cd drive. my computer really thinks that there is a 3rd cd drive plugged into the motherboard.

by the way: if it matters, its showing up as {DVD_gdx DVD_ROM-gdx0304 SCSI CdRom Device}
thanks for the efforts
AJ

Collapse -
Re:Tried that.
by Art / March 30, 2004 4:50 PM PST
In reply to: Tried that.

I am not sure if this can still be done at this point but it really should have been performed before removing the virtual drive program itself. But if "virtual drive manager is still there, click on "file", then click on "setting number of virtual drive", then set that number to zero and reboot. If you can't do this now, then maybe you can reinstall VD and start over. Good luck.

Collapse -
by Rollo / March 30, 2004 6:55 PM PST

Maybe you've tried this already, but anyway, go to System Properties, Hardware tab, Device Manager and remove all CD and DVD drives at the same session. Reboot and let Windows re-acquire the hardware, then see if the virtual drive still exists in My Computer. If it does, keep watching this thread. Talking of CD-R/RW drives, Windows own CD writing capability should be disabled for a drive before installing proprietory CD burning software, like Nero, AND this software should be installed from the drive it's going to be used with, regardless of whether that drive is the one used to install Windows or not. It goes without saying, only users with Administrator rights should install CD burning software or attempt to remove hardware from Device Manager.

Collapse -
Re:
by freebirthfreddy / April 2, 2004 3:37 AM PST

I'll try those ideas, thanks.

Collapse -
by rkoenn / April 4, 2004 9:43 PM PDT

I had my Pinnacle DVD burning software create a virtual drive also. I didn't want it and found out it was a service that was being loaded. I went to the administrative tools and services controls and disabled it. See if you can find if the software left that service running. There may also be a way to formally remove even the option for the service if it is there, some command prompt code that would unregister the service but if it is a service, you can just disable it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!