Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Phones forum

General discussion

Virgin Mobile

by rcme70 / December 31, 2010 5:37 AM PST

Does anyone know what Virgin Moile is like, Im in Georgia and looking for a Prepaid Service, they offer unlimited text, web, email and I think its either 200 or 300 minutes per month, which should be ample minutes for me. Im also looking at a more advanced phone and dont know which to choose and do I have to buy one of their phones or can a buy any Unlocked Phone?
Thanks for any help....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Virgin Mobile
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Virgin Mobile
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The plans vary
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 6:14 AM PST
In reply to: Virgin Mobile

But I am seeing some buy their phone, 300 minutes plan for some areas.

If they won't answer your questions, why go with them?
Bob

Collapse -
Hhhmmm
by rcme70 / December 31, 2010 7:15 AM PST
In reply to: The plans vary

Im sorry, your answer is confusing, who wont answer what question?

Please explain

Collapse -
Virgin.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Hhhmmm
Collapse -
Virgin
by rcme70 / January 1, 2011 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: Virgin.

I havent tried contacting them, I just wanted to find out what people thought of their service and phones, plus I know nothing about how you can use an Unlocked phone

Collapse -
Just wondering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 2:12 AM PST
In reply to: Virgin

If they are not folk you want to talk to, then why do business with them?

Sorry but I had to ask.
Bob

Collapse -
No
by rcme70 / January 1, 2011 2:27 AM PST
In reply to: Just wondering.

No thats not it, I just prefer to do as much as I can online, I have an Aussie accent and for some reason some people have trouble understanding me Happy Go figure...

Collapse -
Here's the bottom line
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 1:41 AM PST
In reply to: No

While folk can note this or that, you still have to check out if such a deal is available from the suppliers. I noted that Virgin is doing something but that's on another island.

I missed what island you are searching on. Georgia is in about 3 countries.
Bob

Collapse -
usa
by rcme70 / January 2, 2011 3:04 AM PST
In reply to: Here's the bottom line

The state Georgia USA, I moved here from Australia. One thing I miss from Aus is you NEVER pay for incoming calls, but I stil love the USA.

Collapse -
Look at the link in post 4.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 2, 2011 3:15 AM PST
In reply to: usa

It may be what many are looking for. And that's in the USA but not all over yet.

Remember that CES is next week so there will be a lot of news after that.
Bob

Collapse -
I had horrible experience
by RotoRooterGuy / February 27, 2011 9:20 PM PST

I have two post-paid lines with T-Mobile. But I needed a line for my mom, who did not have a cell. She could not get a signal in the house, so I tried out Virgin.

Mainly, I have horrible customer service with them. My mom could never get help so I had to do it, meaning when things went wrong she had to wait for me to visit to call Virgin.

Three times they messed up on getting her voice mail to work, and it was a problem on its end because after a fourth call the competent CSR fixed it.

Also, they were supposed to put me on a plan that rolled over minutes. Come to find out six months later that she was not on roll over minutes. They had put her on the wrong plan.

Virgin said they would give me a $20 credit, but refused to give my mom the 500 or so minutes she had earned and not used.

So on that I told them to cancel the account and I got my mom a Net10 phone. On her Net10 they deduct $15 monthly on the account and her minutes automatically roll over. So no muss, no fuss.

By the way, I had $90 in the Virgin account that was unused. When I canceled the account they said they don't give refunds. While I know I could have pursued that in a lawsuit, who has time to do that. So they kept the $90.

Virgin's logic was that I could use the $90 for other services. They don't address the inconsistency that if I cancel the account, how they can legally keep the $90 cash that's mine.

Oh... you can look on Wikipedia who owns Virgin Mobile, I don't think it's Virgin.

Sidenote: Every time I called Virgin it sounded like it was India, and one time when I asked the CSR said she was in the Philippines.

Sometimes the accents were so thick I could not understand what they were saying. And because of the language barriers (English is their second language) most calls were "sterile" and unfriendly. Nothing wrong with straight and to the point calls, but sometimes a friendly voice is nice to hear.

Collapse -
Also try this when shopping for a prepaid.
by RotoRooterGuy / February 27, 2011 9:49 PM PST

Even though that Proffitt (sp) dude has a 159,000 forum posts, he was trying to tell you to do your own work or if you had questions, call the carrier.

He was not going to answer your question which I understood to be your asking if anyone had experience with Virgin and if so, how was it. Seems a logical question to me and something you would not actually call the carrier about, at least not if you want an honest opinion.

I wrote an article that was published in a magazine. It was about 2011 and all the new phones, services, ways of charging people, etc.

I said that prepaid is becoming better every few months or so. Prepaid is getting better phones and providing extremely competitive call and data plans (unlimited).

There's two things you need to search. First, determine which prepaid works in your area. That can be determined on the Net. (Search the carrier's "coverage area.")

Also determine who provides the prepaid its "towers" so to speak. Many prepaids lease spectrum from the big carriers (it's big business to "rent" spectrum to these small companies). Also, many prepaids are owned and operated by the big carriers. For example, Sprint owns Boost Mobile.

As to handsets, carriers are getting better phones every few months or so. It really depends on what you want in a phone. For example, there's Android-based handsets coming out. While they are not full-featured Android versions, such as the inability to play flash files on the Internet, they are still nice phones compared to old prepaid phones (the clamshell phones of 2002. LOL).

Another example, MetroPCS now has a 4G handset. While many people may not be in the market for that, it's interesting there is now a 4G prepaid phone.

So check around. I'd type in the carrier's name you are thinking about and the word "complaint," in Google, to see what comes up.

There's also lots of prepaid review sites that have lots of information.

Even on YouTube you can type in the phone you are considering and there's always someone who has posted a video of it in operation.

Collapse -
RotoRooterGuy Thank you
by rcme70 / February 28, 2011 12:11 AM PST

I think you put my thoughts in to words perfectly, I often find I dont get any real answers to my questions on here,put I dont know where else to try.

Well I got my Virgin Mobile phone from Best Buy nearly a month ago,the phone is a Samsung Intercept,and I chose the $25 month plan.So far I have no complaints at all, I get 300 minutes, unlimited messaging, data and web.What do like is that $25 includes everything, ie: tax,fees and whatever else I had to pay extra with my verizon service.So at this point I would recommend Vergin, but time will tell.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!