Computer Help forum

General discussion

Vinyl to CD...time consuming? It's worth every minute!

by 80sGuy / October 19, 2006 11:41 PM PDT

Aside from all the good & common recommendations here...

If you are seriously into your music like I do (I own more than 400 out of print European treasures) you can't take short least in converting your ''out of print'' vinyl collection to CDs, either do it right the final time or don't do it at all. Also, you can't really compare the natural warmth and textured sound of the vinyl record with a commercially digitized CD anyway (unless it is new music)!

First and foremost is hardware:
A good turntable: Technics with a good cartridge needle like Audio Technica, etc. with a frequency response of at least 20-22KHZ. Clean your records with Gruv-Glide ($24.95) and clean them good, this will ensure that your records will sound its best and static-free during recording. A good clean record, when converted will need only minimum restoration; it will also yield and retain its maximum audio quality, because a good source is a good source.

Here is the easiest and most effective approach: Get a stand-alone CD recorder deck (check out ebay)
*record them into CD-RW discs (you can erase and re-record them if the record jumps or skips, and believe me, they do!)
*upgrade your soundcard (PCI type, preferably up to 192khz) and disable the one from your motherboard, this will reduce interference and ensure crystal-clear sound during production.
*convert them into WAV files (NOT compressed mp3)

The most effective software out there now is *SONY SOUNDFORGE 8.0 w/ CD Architect 5.2 & Noise Reduction 2.0* (,
I buy this software alone just because it came with an ''audio scrubber tool'', a feature which lets you independently zoom into the file to capture its actual pops & clicks (shown as sharp spikes on graph) and specifically move the spikes down to its normal level, because these sharp spikes, when played normally, produces loud pops/clicks. You'll be surprised to see how many of those on your vinyl.
This is the ONLY software that totally lets you ''in control'' of your editing without filtering the whole song just because there are only a few clicks/crackel or pops. You remove ONLY where the audible clicks and pops are and at the same time without reducing the quality of the format. Finally when that's done, you can further reduce any audible hiss or hum with the *Noise Reduction 2.0* (again, only on sections needed) and save them on blank CD-RW discs for storage and/or rip into mp3. Now you can use your computer DVD/CD writer to produce ''red book'' audio CDs using the included *CD Architect 5.2*. This software's limitless and its got so much more, even for video encoding, etc, etc.

My final restoration sounded SO MUCH BETTER yet still retains its originality and quality, an overall warmth, rich low and smooth high audio which can only be described by a vinyl recording to the ears' desire, yet faithfully preserved on CD.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vinyl to CD...time consuming? It's worth every minute!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vinyl to CD...time consuming? It's worth every minute!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?