Mac OS forum

General discussion

Vintage Mac to network printer issue

by PFMFROMMFP / March 30, 2010 5:02 PM PDT

I Just joined this forum on a recommendation from the Kim Komando web site I hope my fellow MAC enthusiasts can help! I can help with issues from system 6 through Tiger.
My wife is in a solo private practice as a family doctor. We use 3 G3 iMACs running OS 9.2.2. My wife just bought a used emac G4 running Tiger (10.4.11) & classic OS (9.2.2). All computers are networked via ethernet 100 base T to an HP Laserjet 1320n. All boxes have successfully printed over the network in the past.When my wife bought the eMac I transferred the data from the iMac on her desk to the eMac. Everything worked! I then wiped the iMac hard drive to purge my wife's personal data. Next I installed Panther (10.3.9). I transferred data from another iMac to my wife's old iMac.
I could print in Panther but not Classic. It kept getting "no printer selected." I searched apple HP and Google to no avail. I downloaded new copies of printer driver and HP software. I still could not print in Classic.

I wiped the hard drive again and did a complete restore of the original software OS 9.0.4. Still could not print. I reinstalled software from HP, still could not print. Updated 9.2.2 still could not print. I reinstalled software from HP, still could not print.

I feel like I am missing something obvious! Everything seems to match the other machines' configurations. HELP PLEASE! Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vintage Mac to network printer issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vintage Mac to network printer issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Shot in the dark,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / March 31, 2010 10:20 AM PDT

make sure that you have AppleTalk turned on in both versions of the OS.

HP and AppleTalk play very nicely but the printers tend to disappear when AppleTalk is turned of or is directed to the wrong output. Should be Ethernet. See the AppleTalk control panel in 9.x and in the System Preferences > Network in OS X

P

Collapse -
GOOD thought but
by PFMFROMMFP / March 31, 2010 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Shot in the dark,

I do not have x installed on the problem unit the appletalk is on control panel set to ethernet and it worked 3 weeks ago on these settings
any other thoughts we are not going to upgrade unless there is a way to get tiger off a machine on which it was pre-installed my wife and I COMPETE TO NOT SPEND MONEY thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

GREAT SHOWS WITHOUT CABLE

Get live TV over the internet

Say goodbye to cable -- check out the top five live TV streaming services available now.