TVs & Home Theaters forum

Tip

Vintage amp, trying top hook up to a new tv and need help!

by redrodeorattler / September 8, 2012 11:52 AM PDT

Okay, so I have an old-school Sansui TA-D2100 amp+, two Sanyo SS-685 bass reflex towers, and an Emerson LCD that I am trying to jerry rig into a first home theater system. My speakers are fuzzing out, but there is some sound coming through them. All the settings seem to be right on the tv, and the volume is all the way up on the amp.
Need some help with this, and you will have to dumb it down for me a little.
Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Vintage amp, trying top hook up to a new tv and need help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Vintage amp, trying top hook up to a new tv and need help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How exactly is everything connected?
by Pepe7 / September 8, 2012 2:50 PM PDT

Be verbose regarding the types of connections and wires used by all involved equipment. (e.g. HDMI cable from TV to receiver; yellow video cable from TV to receiver/amp, etc.)

Also, is there a cable or sat box involved? anything else you didn't list?

Collapse -
Re; How is everything connected?
by redrodeorattler / September 9, 2012 12:52 AM PDT

I have the audio coming out of the tv from a set of red/white connections to the amp. There is a PS3 that I use for movies and such, runs to the tv with HDMI cable. The speakers are ran to the amp by some speaker wire (the orange/blue coated wire you use when hooking up a car stereo). That is all of the connections that are there.

Collapse -
What's the model number on the Emerson LCD?
by Pepe7 / September 9, 2012 1:04 AM PDT

Perhaps you didn't set up the audio output correctly in the menus. Alas, I'm at a bit of a loss since you did not include the model number of your HDTV ;).

Even before knowing the model number, my gut says because you are using HDMI to the HDTV, it will not pass through audio from your PS3 via the analog audio output of your HDTV. This restriction over an HDMI connection is a known animal. In this regard,it's time to upgrade to a modern AV receiver for use as a HT hub. Old amps don't fare well in this arena.

There are possibly converters from the digital optical output of your PS3 that *might* work. But sometimes, due to the fact that you are working with older equipment anyway, makes this foray less than ideal IMO and E.

Out of curiosity, have you looked at some of the pricing for entry level AV receivers of late? You practically get the whole farm for $200-250. Great way to get your feet into HT ;). Just keep the old amp around for use somewhere else.

-Pedro

Collapse -
Re;
by redrodeorattler / September 9, 2012 1:14 AM PDT

Well crap. Model number on the tv is LC401EM2F. I was afraid they would be too old to work..

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!