Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Viewing My Documents

by nemolar / March 3, 2010 1:32 PM PST

I have Windows XP Pro with IE 8 and Microsoft Word 2003.

When I open a folder in My Documents, the contents usually appear in a smaller-sized window and the items in the folder are shown in "Tile" view.

What I would like to happen all the time when I open a folder in My Documents is for the contents to appear in a "full-screen"-sized window, and the items in the folder to be shown in "Details" view.

In order that I do not have to continually change the window "size" and the "View" every time I open a folder, I was wondering if there was a way for me to set my computer so that my preference is permanent.

Please be as detailed as possible when responding because I do not understand a lot of "computer-speak".

Thank you so very much for any assistance you can provide on this matter.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Viewing My Documents
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Viewing My Documents
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open Explorer . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 3, 2010 8:59 PM PST
In reply to: Viewing My Documents

Click My Documents. Click Tools, Folder options. Click View. Open the folder you want to change and set the View to what you like.

Collapse -
Thanks for responding, however,
by nemolar / March 3, 2010 9:16 PM PST
In reply to: Open Explorer . . .

that's exactly what I do every time I open a folder.

The problem seems to be is that the change is never permanent, because the next time I open that same folder, I have to change the window size and "View" again.

Collapse -
Scroll down to . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 3, 2010 11:26 PM PST

"Remember each folder's view settings" and put a check there.

Collapse -
Just to clarify...
by nemolar / March 3, 2010 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: Scroll down to . . .

Question 1 - Are you saying that there is no one setting I can make which will allow my preferences to be permanent for all Folders, without the need to "set" my preference for each individual Folder?

Question 2 - Where is the "Remember each folder's view settings" selection located? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Please be specific as I do not understand a lot of computer shortcuts.

Thanks so very much for your assistance.

Collapse -
As in my first response . . .
by Coryphaeus / March 3, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Just to clarify...

With the Folder options, the View tab, the Advanced settings box, scroll down to "Remember each folder's view settings". Put a check there. Click Apply. Picture at my site:

http://www.wayne2.net/view.jpg

Collapse -
Re: Just to clarify...
by Tufenuf / March 3, 2010 11:53 PM PST
In reply to: Just to clarify...

nemolar, "Question 2 - Where is the "Remember each folder's view settings" selection located? I cannot seem to find it anywhere. Please be specific as I do not understand a lot of computer shortcuts."

You'll find that setting in Folder Options under the View tab inder Advanced Settings. Start>Control Panel>Folder Options>View tab

If that doesn't correct your problem go to the link below and on line 2 (left column) click on "Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000" to download a reg file. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it and answer yes to the import prompt. It should correct your problem.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Thanks for everyone's input
by nemolar / March 4, 2010 9:33 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Just to clarify...

However, the problem persists.

I located the "Remember each folder's view settings" selection, however, the box beside it already had a check mark, so that unfortunately was not the problem.

I then went to Kelly's Korner website and downloaded the reg file "Increase Folder View Size Limit to 8000".

However, still whenever I open a Folder, sometimes both of my preferences show up, but seemingly most times they still don't.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks so much again for all your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!