HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Viewing in Win 98 JPGs on CD made with XP

by PURKY / October 10, 2005 8:30 AM PDT

My OS is XP (Home).

I want to send JPG CDs to an elderly person who has Win 98 and isn?t too computer savvy.

If I copy (unaltered) JPGs to a CD using Win XP or Nero Express can these CDs be viewed by Win 98.

She is not online (and doesn?t want to be) so in this case will she be able to order prints locally or by mail from these CDs without having the whole CD printed ?

Any ideas re this,
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Viewing in Win 98 JPGs on CD made with XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Viewing in Win 98 JPGs on CD made with XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and yes.
by Kees Bakker / October 10, 2005 5:20 PM PDT

Purky,

The jpg's will be opened by Internet Explorer, unless you let her install another viewer (like Irfanview from www.irfanview.com).

And I assume her local photoshop will be able to print just the pictures she chooses. But she must be able to supply the names (or numbers) of the pictures. If you've got multiple subfolders on the CD, with duplicate filenames (like 43.jpg) that might be an error-prone process. So I suggest don't use folders on the CD.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
by PURKY / October 15, 2005 2:33 PM PDT

Kees,

Thanks for your reply -
Confirms what I had been thinking.

Regards,

Purky

Collapse -
by PURKY / October 15, 2005 5:14 PM PDT

Hi,

Seems like I have one or two more questions.

After, or while copying photos to a CD how can I get the CD to start automatically when loaded and is there any way to set the viewing time for each photo ?

In XP there is a screensaver function that lets you view picture / photo folders - is there a similar function in Win 98 or are there freeware or shareware programs that will do this in Win 98 ?

Thanks,

Purky

Collapse -
Re: pictures on CD
by Kees Bakker / October 15, 2005 8:42 PM PDT

Purky,

Autorun
In principle, it's possible to make an autorun cd. Read through http://www.google.com/search?q=autorun.inf&meta=
But you should either burn the program to be run to the CD (and that means the program must be able to run from the CD without being installed on the target computer) or refer to a program the receiver is sure to have, such as Internet Explorer to view the pics. And what you can do with it depends on the program of course.

Program to view pics
I would recommend to install irfanview (www.irfanview.com) on her computer. All she has to do is run irfanview (from Start>Programs or a desktop icon), open the CD, and then use space and backspace for next and previous. That's better, imo, then a fixed viewing time. It's a little bit more complicated if you organize the pictures into folders.
She might be able to install it herself, if you provide detailed instructions. Try it out yourself first.

Screensaver
Numerous programs to be found on the net, like:
http://www.screenpaver.com/
http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/45859
Just found them with google, no personal experience. You might be able to find freeware on sites like download.com or tucows.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I've found that the more a person avoids...
by reefurbb / October 16, 2005 1:01 PM PDT

learning how to navigate W98, the more they depend on someone doing it for them. Yes, XP might be easier but they may not have the PC to handle it. As kees said, irfanview is easy enough. You can do a slide show as well as make a screensaver with it. Auto-running a CD may be a learning experience for you but an avoidance for them. She should learn how to copy wanted pictures from the CD into a desktop folder for better viewing choice.
The next issue would be about a digital camera, if she has a USB port. Film is slowly dying, just as CD "burners" are. New printers now are USB instead of parallel port option. Does she print?

Collapse -
by PURKY / October 21, 2005 4:03 PM PDT

Thanks for your replies guys; Will find out next week if I've got things working O.K.,

Purky.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.