TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Viewing angle on various TV formats.

by Cathie00 / December 13, 2006 7:49 AM PST

Whenever I look at the specs of the various TV display formats; LCD, Plasma, DLP, etc, I find that not all include viewing angles.

Maybe I'm just weird, but unless you have a very deep living room with a theater type tiered floor, so everyone has a direct-on view of the TV screen, there are going to be viewers to the side of the TV, maybe sitting on the floor below the TV, etc, which means viewing angle is extremely important in a normal living room setting. When I invite people over and we are watching TV, I don't want anyone to not be able to see the full clarity of the picture.

One thing the age-old cathode-ray tube TV format has is excellent viewing angle specs. LCD specs usually include viewing angle, I would guess because LCD provides the best viewing angle of all the HD formats. How do we find out what the viewing angle is on other formats; for instance DLP - before we buy?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Viewing angle on various TV formats.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Viewing angle on various TV formats.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Perhaps a non-issue for me moreso than other folks.
by NM_Bill / December 13, 2006 8:01 AM PST

It is just plain marginal to try to view any technology of TV beyond 45 degrees off center.

This forum has commented on viewing angle frequently. Yes, plasmas have somewhat better viewing angle than LCD & DLP, with DLP being a bit more limiting than LCD.

Most people nowadays realize it's undesirable to have to have the TV mounted high so that even normally seated viewers crane their necks back. At & slightly below ordinary line of sight is more pleasant.

Collapse -
When it is included in the specs...
by Cathie00 / December 13, 2006 3:43 PM PST

Actually, the leading LCD TVs post a 178 degree viewing angle from all directions, and since I have a couple 20 inch LCD TVs, I can attest to that stat by experience, even on my low priced LCDs.

Most plasmas state a viewing angle of 160 degrees, and by looking at them on display in the store, I think that stat is stretching it. And, I don't know why, but I can see trailing images on moving objects even on the most expensive plasmas - especially on fast moving sports broadcasts, which I don't see on either of the LCD TVs I presently own. I wonder if anyone else can see that plasma effect.

So, in considering other options, like DLP for the lower cost factor per square inch of display, I was trying to find the actual viewing angle limit of DLP and LCD projection TVs. Since they don't state the spec, I have to assume its a very low angle, and that means I am pretty much limited to the LCD format at the higher cost.

Thanks for your input.

Collapse -
Try them out
by HTHMAN / December 13, 2006 9:20 AM PST

Go into any store and move from side to side with the different display types. You will find all the rear projection (DLP, LCD or CRT)sets will dim pretty significantly as you move off center. With Plasma and flat panel LCDs you can view them with a bright picture at 160-170 degrees, but who wants to look at a picture that is 2 feet high and 2 inches wide. At any reasonable viewing anle, they are your best bet.

Collapse -
by Cathie00 / December 13, 2006 3:57 PM PST
In reply to: Try them out

The reason for my post was an attempt to not have to travel to a store to determine the limit to the viewing angles of the various formats. And seeing a TV on display is so far from the way it is going to look in your living room, especially because of all the flourescent lighting, it's not of much worth anyway.

I have a couple of small LCD TVs for use in the bedrooms, and their viewing angles are excellent. No one is going to watch any TV at a 170 degree viewing angle for long for the very reasons you stated, but the fact that you can still see what is happening on the TV at a 170 degree viewing angle means it will be great at a normal viewing angle, and that is why the stat is important.

If you have the TV on while your moving around doing things, or you have guests sitting along the side walls of the living room, you want to be able to see the picture just as clearly as standing in front of it. The living room currently has a 36 inch tube TV that has an unbeatable viewing angle, but I want to go digital and widescreen in the living room, and was investigating the DLPs and LCD projection TVs because of the lower cost per screen inch of those formats.

However, it appears my only option is to stick with the LCD TVs, since DLPs and other projection TVs evidently have very poor viewing angles. (Btw, plasma TVs has already been eliminated from the consideration - see other post.)

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?