TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

View Video on PC from S-Video source via RJ45 connectors

by infantcuckoo / July 9, 2004 6:29 AM PDT

I would like to to view my Video source on my PC from a S-Video output device, but would like to avoid the bulky S-Video cable.
If any of you know any adaptor device that allow me to connect from my S-Video output device to my PC using RJ45 connectors, please let me know, thanks.

I guess the connection would look like the following:

1.S-Video output- 2.adaptorRJ45- 3.receiverRJ45- 4.PC

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: View Video on PC from S-Video source via RJ45 connectors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: View Video on PC from S-Video source via RJ45 connectors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: View Video on PC from S-Video source via RJ45 connectors
by infantcuckoo / July 9, 2004 7:52 AM PDT

I forgot to mention the distance between my S-Video source and the PC is about 150 meters.

Collapse -
150 Meters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2004 11:59 PM PDT

This takes your consumer solutions out of consideration. There are CCTV solutions for such a distance. The solution might be Fiber Optic based for best results and run under 1,000 US dollars.

bob

Collapse -
Re: 150 Meters.
by infantcuckoo / July 11, 2004 11:11 PM PDT
In reply to: 150 Meters.

Thanks for your reply, Infact it is not for home used. Cost around $1000 is fine. I found one product from Muxlab also cost around $1000, using Unshielded twisted pair, but not sure about its realiability.
Could you plaese let me know what is the Fiber Optic based you have mentioned, thanks.

Collapse -
Re: 150 Meters.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 11:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: 150 Meters.

Silentwitness.com which is now under the Honeywell name has the fiber solution as well as the UTP offerings. That is another solution which has the benefit that we have tried your cheap and plentiful CAT 5 ethernet cable (be sure to use a twisted pair!) to make 1000 foot runs with the needed devices. At 150 feet, you won't lose much of the signal.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Oops, typos in that one...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2004 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: 150 Meters.

I mixed up feet and meters. Ok, we did 1000 feet so that's inside the needed 150 meters. You may see some softening of the image, but it does work.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks R. Proffitt
by infantcuckoo / July 12, 2004 12:04 AM PDT

Thank you very much for your helps!
Actually, I'm doing this for a not for profit organization....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.