Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

View .jpeg files in Windows XP Home

by chingchingchingy / June 9, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

I was wondering why I couldn't view .jpeg files in Windows XP Home edition. I donwloaded Infraview but it still says the file extension is invalid and it can't view the files.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: View .jpeg files in Windows XP Home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: View .jpeg files in Windows XP Home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
NT - Tell us the ''procedure'' 'u used.
by Cursorcowboy / June 9, 2004 2:40 AM PDT

Collapse -
Re:View .jpeg files in Windows XP Home
by Cetin Denislam / June 9, 2004 3:07 AM PDT

1. What is the exact error message when you double click a jpeg file ? Example: "Unknown file format"

2. Can you open the file by right clicking it and select Open with and click let's say IrfanView ?

3. From windows Explorer click Tools, Folder Options, File Types Tab. Scroll Down until jpeg. What Program Name is displayed in the right side of Opens with ?

Good Luck,

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by ChuckT / June 9, 2004 3:24 AM PDT

Well, by default, WinXP (Home or Pro) can view real JPG images, providing that they have a correct filename extension (the up-to-3 characters, at the end of the filename, after the .dot).

And IrfanView can view any common image, whether the extension is right or wrong, or even missing. The only thing IrfanView cares about the extension for is to automatically associate a file extension directly to the IrfanView. But it is not required.

When you browse through files, from IrfanView, with the Open command, you can set the "Files of type" selection to "All files" and still select any file, with or without any extension.

If you select an image file that does not properly reflect what type of file it is, IrfanView will tell you so, and give you the option if you want it renamed (you don't have to, the image will still be opened).

For IrfanView to still complain that it can not open the file simply tells me that it is not an image file that IrfanView can view, and thus it is not a true, or valid, .jpeg.

You also don't even need to associate ANY image file to IrfanView. You could just open IrfanView and drag and drop, from Window Explorer, any file into the open IrfanView window. If it is an image file, a valid image file that IrfanView can handle, then IrfanView will open it.

You might want to make sure that you have all the optional (and free) plugins available for IrfanView. Perhaps the file is an image that the basic IrfanView can not see (.jpegs ARE in the base program) but with the option plugin it could.

Other than that, I'd say that what you think is a .jpeg, ISN'T.

You are aware that some viruses have been around that mangle jpeg files, and some even put add another extension on AFTER the .jpg extension (like "somename.jpg.vbs") and if your Windows Explorer is not setup to view the extensions of known file formats, you will not see the true last part extension (the .vbs).
Thus, what appears to be a .jpg extension, could be a virus loaded Visual Basic Script .vbs

Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:irfanview can view a file with no extension?
by jonah jones / June 9, 2004 6:23 AM PDT

#And IrfanView can view any common image, whether the extension is right or wrong, or even missing#

if you rename an image file -*.jpg- to just *.... i think you'll get the "windows cannot open this file" box....

of course you can then choose the "select a program from the list" option and choose irfanview (which will say "this is a jpeg file with no extension, rename it?").....

Collapse -
Re:Re: IrfanView can view a file with no extension?
by ChuckT / June 9, 2004 11:20 AM PDT

No, you are wrong.

IrfanView does NOT say it can't open the file, it only gives a warning that the extension is wrong (actually it is missing, in this case). And then offer to rename it for you.

If you select [No] the picture still gets opened, with no filename changed.

There are other methods of selecting files, extensions or not. One, as you mentioned is the right-click "open with" option. I tried that and other than the warning that the extension was in error, it was still able to open the non-extension file.

I prefer the drag-and-drop method, but, there are other ways, as well.

Collapse -
Re: just two things to say
by jonah jones / June 9, 2004 12:19 PM PDT

1: i didn't say that irfan says it can't open the file, i said 'windows says....'
2: i didn't mention right click, that was Cetin

*best to untwist 'em before you shoot*

Collapse -
Never one to just let things alone
by ChuckT / June 10, 2004 3:47 AM PDT

and an apology, if needed, with these further points:

1) True, you didn't say it was IrfanView that gave the message "windows cannot open this file".
But you didn't mention what a person is to use to rename the file. It could have been IrfanView, since IrfanView can be used to rename files. Or, perhaps it is just through the Windows Explorer, whatever.
In any case, and my money is on in any other tool as well, Windows still does not give the user any "windows cannot open this file" message by the mere act of renaming a file to have no extension.
So, I still say you are wrong. BUT, then again, you said "I think you'll get the windows cannot open..." So, since you did not say definitely but just a "think" then, in that case I think you are wrong. Happy

In both of those cases, of renaming a file to have no extension, you will get a warning about changing a filename extension might cause you some problem. But you can still click [Yes] to do so anyway.
Why are we talking about renaming a file anyway? I wouldn't normally suggest anybody to remove a filename extension. The extensions are there for a reason. I only said that IrfanView could open a file with or without an extension, correct extension or not.

2) Again, sorry if you took any offense to me categorizing the many ways to get the "open with" dialog to just one method, the right-click.
But I never said you were wrong there, what's to object to? I did say there were other methods to open files, I know you never said "right-click," only the dialog, which can be seen by using the right-click method - among the many other ways as well.
I apologize - you did not say which of those ways.

Collapse -
Re:but always try to explain
by jonah jones / June 10, 2004 4:27 AM PDT

use explorer to rename an image file so it has no extension (and yes, you can ignore the warning! this is just to prove a point, ok)

now click the file, does a window open saying "windows cannot open this file: to open this file windows needs to know what program created it. windows can go online to to look it up automatically, or you can manually select it from a list of programs on your computer. etc etc etc"?

xp pro sp1

Collapse -
Re: explaining. But it is a different point
by ChuckT / June 10, 2004 7:00 AM PDT

I never denied what a user might see in attempting to use other methods to open a no-extension named file.

I was only mentioning that IrfanView couldn't care less if the extension was there or not. That's all. Not renaming one, not using anything else, not attempting to open by any other means.

Of course, attempting to double-click a no-extension named file is normally going to bring up the "Windows cannot open this file" message.
(However, (and why do I bother... sigh, I know I'm going to regret this ...) I have Filesnoop set to automatically be used in such cases. So I do not get any such message.)

Why are we still discussing this?

Look. You are right! OK?
You are perfect. Just perfect.

Collapse -
Re:just a thought
by jonah jones / June 9, 2004 6:30 AM PDT

i use irfanview to view my images, but if i rename *.jpg to *.jpeg, XP pro will use the built in "picture and fax viewer"...

Collapse -
NR -- ''All'' a matter of association ,-)
by Cursorcowboy / June 9, 2004 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:just a thought

Collapse -
by jonah jones / June 9, 2004 3:32 PM PDT

but i wasn't sure if 'fax and picture viewer' was/is an application that can 'go buggy' and then be 'fixed'....

*when it's almost midnight, somethings are best left as 'just a thought'.....*

Collapse -
If you are so curious ...
by Cetin Denislam / June 10, 2004 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:true......

? Jonah, do you want to see a jpeg file that won't open ? IOW, double clicking from windows explorer it'll give the "Unknown file format" error ? Wink

Of course that using right click, Open with IrfanView will display it.

You can choose a funny picture as J. Timberlake and J. Jackson for testing :-).

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Batman here.
by Cursorcowboy / June 10, 2004 4:01 AM PDT
File Type: set to

Extension: JPEG JPG JPE

Content Type (MIME): image/jpg

Open with: I-VIEW32

seems to double-click just fine.

Collapse -
Yoda here ...
by Cetin Denislam / June 10, 2004 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Batman here.

Yep, in that context it works as you describe.

I was talking about Jonah's whisper >>i wasn't sure if 'fax and picture viewer' was/is an application that can 'go buggy' and then be 'fixed'.... <<

So, let's take the below scenario:

If I double click a jpeg file in windows Explorer it'll open under Windows Fax and Picture Viewer (IrfanView isn't the application that handles the set file associations). Of course right clicking it, I have multiple options (6), including IrfanView and all are working fine.

I can break windows XP Grin in such a way that if I double click any jpeg file (yes, with .jpeg extension) under windows Explorer it'll give the "Unknown file format" error. But if I right click the jpeg file, it'll open under IrfanView or Paint or ? Wink

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
by glb613 / June 10, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

It can be as simple as someone renaming the picture and removing the file extension. Check and if the extension is correct. If not, add .jpeg or jpg to the name and see if that works.

Collapse -
by TheKNOWLEDGE / June 10, 2004 9:56 PM PDT

have you tryed this when you open an expoler window at the top you get a task bar (file, edit, etc) well click on view and change to thumbnail this allow you view all .jgp files within the browser. Try going thought you view setting and reset to default if all else fail try changing the file extention to one that works.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?