HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

View as Web page in Win XP

by jaring / April 23, 2004 1:38 AM PDT

With Win 98SE Windows Explorer can be viewed as a Web Page whereby a middle screen appears between the directory and folder/file screens. When I click a file in the right screen the info of that file appears in the middle window, This is especially useful when I click a JPG, etc. file because a "thumbnail" picture of that JPG file appears in the middle screen. So I don't have to double click the file in order to see what the picture looks like. Question: how do I get the same screen or feature with Windows XP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: View as Web page in Win XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: View as Web page in Win XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:View as Web page in Win XP
by Cetin Denislam / April 23, 2004 6:49 AM PDT

I don't think that the old way viewing is possible in windows XP. However, your exposed problem isn't by far annoying than the one that you open a folder with hunfreds (maybe thousands) of files in thumbnail view. In this case, there is a large processing delay.

Anyway, you can use a third party tool. Example
ThumbsPlus

Good Luck,

Cetin

Trying to unweave, unwind, unravel
And piece together the past and the future,

T. S. Eliot

Collapse -
Re:Re:View as Web page in Win XP
by jaring / April 29, 2004 1:02 AM PDT

Thanks, Cetin. Will try ThumbsPlus

Collapse -
Re: View as Web page in Win XP
by Rollo / April 23, 2004 8:22 AM PDT

You can get a similar effect in Windows Explorer (WE), under XP Home or Pro. Run WE, highlight your chosen folder in the left pane, choose List from the View menu, then turn off the Folder (tree) view by going to View menu, Explorer Bar, and untick Folders, or just click on the Folders button on the Standard Toolbar. Now when you highlight a file, you should have a preview of the file and some of its properties listed in the info/action pane, on the left, which has taken the place of the normal directory tree. The same effect can be achieved or arrived at by simply Opening a folder (right-click a folder, select Open), rather than Exploring it or just running WE normally. You might also like to right-click a folder, hover over Send To, and select Desktop (create shortcut), this provides a shortcut which Opens a folder in WE. If you don't get this, try using a GUI Theme other than the Windows XP default. Excuse the long winded explanation, but is there any other way. Regards

Collapse -
Re:Re: View as Web page in Win XP
by jaring / April 29, 2004 1:04 AM PDT

Thanks, Rollo. I will try to follow your instructions this afternoon.

Collapse -
Re: View as Web page in Win XP
by Rollo / April 29, 2004 2:57 AM PDT

To get the effect as I described, you must enable "Show common tasks in folders" at the top of the General tab in Folder Options, which you get at from the View menu in Windows Explorer. Regards

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.