Cameras forum

General discussion

Videos / Movies (Nikon Coolpix S630)

by GeoBear2 / November 1, 2009 2:14 AM PST

I just bought my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix S630. I bought it primarily so I could film videos of dance teachers demonstrating various moves, so that I can study them later.

I found the instructions confusing, so I was amazed when I actually got it to work intuitively (or by accident). I actually filmed some videos and downloaded them to my computer.

The big surprise is that I couldn't get it to work in Video Mode; I wound up using Movie Mode. Can someone tell me what the difference is and which I should use for filming people dancing, often in dimly lit buildings?

If Video is an option, should I choose NTSC or PAL? (What's the difference between them?)

In Movie Mode, I understand the progress bar at the bottom of the screen, but what does the flashing red "RED" in the upper left corner mean?

What settings would you recommend I use for filming a dance teacher in a dimly lit room? Do you have any other tips to offer?

As I said, it's working; I can record videos/movies and download them to my computer. But I'd like a little help getting up to speed, as I have a class tomorrow, and I'm not even sure if I should be filming in Video Mode or Movie Mode.

Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Videos / Movies (Nikon Coolpix S630)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Videos / Movies (Nikon Coolpix S630)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video - Movie
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 1, 2009 6:17 AM PST

Video - Movie - Same thing
Nikon likes to use the term Movie Mode.
Other camera makers may use the term Video Mode.

If you are in the USA, choose NTSC
If you are in Australia, Japan, choose PAL
Different type of Television set and signal.
It mainly has to do with how many lines of information are sent to the TV.

The flashing red light is probably telling you that there is not enough light available to get a proper exposure.

There are no settings for dim light situations

Movie mode is not very sophisticated on a digital camera.
If you want dim light ability, you should look at buying a camcorder.
Price range - over $500.

Collapse -
by GeoBear2 / November 1, 2009 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: Video - Movie

OK, that helps bring everything into focus. Thanks for the tips.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?