Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

videos have become bad

by rhodeyes1 / May 5, 2012 11:22 AM PDT

recently my hulu shows video quality has become bad.When I turn on my computer(Lenovo M52 8212) they work all right for maybe 20 minutes then the sound and video syncronizing starts going bad.I'll hear the voice then maybe a second or two later the lips move.After more time the video is not fluid.It sort of looks like it becomes a little like slow motion with stuttering.(hard to describe) .It never used to do this.I think maybe everything the computer is directed to do slows down somewhat.I tried putting in another processor to see what it would do then put the original one back in.I thought maybe the heat transfer paste connection might have become bad.That would explain why it works ok for a little while after I first turn it on.It might be getting too hot in a short time.Would that cause such a problem as I'm having?Also it is worse on full screen.I disabled the hardware accelerator and have been keeping up with things like defrag and clearing the catch.I don't see any viruses.I checked that with malewarebytes antimaleware and avg antivirus free edition.I have a pentium 4 3 GHZ processor and 2 GB memory.Is there anyone who might have some suggestions?Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: videos have become bad
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: videos have become bad
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
also...
by rhodeyes1 / May 5, 2012 11:27 AM PDT
In reply to: videos have become bad

I forgot to mention if I put it on pause for a while it will get back to proper syncronizing but only for a short while then it goes bad again. This happens with news videos and youtube videos also.I don't think it is limited to hulu. Thanks

Collapse -
Answer
Did you try the usual? (google this)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 12:22 PM PDT

DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION

Collapse -
i have it disabled
by rhodeyes1 / May 5, 2012 2:06 PM PDT

I have the hulu player hardware acceletrator disabled and also I did the same with my firefox options>advanced>use hardware acceleration when available. The problem persists.

Collapse -
So the HULU and Fox is disabled.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 2:49 AM PDT
In reply to: i have it disabled

One more to disable.
Bob

Collapse -
which one more would that be?
by rhodeyes1 / May 6, 2012 4:22 AM PDT

I can't find another to disable.I was wondering if i should revert to a previous version of the flash player.Maybe my system couldn't handle the last updated version.I have version 11.2.202.235. Or don't you think that will help?Also you didn't mention if the hot processor might be the problem.

Collapse -
You may need to have it serviced.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2012 4:39 AM PDT

I don't duplicate the web pages here. I did offer the words to use on google since I've found that folk often need to choose the solution or method they understand. Since you didn't understand any of the pages about turning this off, I think a service counter is next.

They can also address the hot CPU.
Bob

Collapse -
Which one to disable
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 7, 2012 4:08 AM PDT

That Google search Bob offered shows how to disable the Flash Player Browser Plugin hardware extension.

Did you try that?

Mark

Collapse -
Correction
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 7, 2012 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Which one to disable

I meant, Flash Player Browser Plugin hardware acceleration.

Collapse -
removing the flash cache
by rhodeyes1 / May 10, 2012 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction

I found this:
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/flash-player-games-video-or.html#main_6__Remove_Flash_Player_cache
It didn't fix the synching so I was wondering if I should put the 2 flash player folders back where they were after following the instructions in the above page.I suppose it shouldn't matter if the instructions were to get rid of them.They are still in the recycle bin.I also will type in DISABLE FLASH HARDWARE ACCELERATION in my google search to try to find how to disable the plugin.

Collapse -
found shockwave flash plugin
by rhodeyes1 / May 11, 2012 3:51 AM PDT

I found shockwave flash plugin by going to the firefox tools>add ons.Is this the flash player add on I should disable? I can't find one called just flash player add on.It might help to know that in my add/rmove program list I have one called ' Adobe flash player 11 plugin' and one called 'Adobe shockwave player 11.5'.There are no other adobe or flah programs in that list.Thanks

Collapse -
I think you're making this too difficult
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

Look at Adobe's Help file on this subject here;
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help01.html

All you need to do now is find an online Flash video, anywhere, (YouTube will do), then right click the video area and select Settings. Then find the setting for "Enable hardware acceleration" and if it is enabled, disable it.

This settings box has tabs at the bottom. If you don't find the hardware acceleration on the tab you see first, try the other tabs.

This setting changes all Flash Plugins for all browsers installed on your system.

Mark

Collapse -
did that before
by rhodeyes1 / May 11, 2012 4:58 AM PDT

I thought the plugin would be different.I disabled hardware acceleration as you just described as the first thing i did so the plugin is disabled too as yu mentioned.That didn't work .I might be stuck with this trouble.Can't afford a repair shop.Its not too bad.Sometimes even if the computers been on a long time it stays synched though now and then i have to put it on pause for a short time to improve it when it goes out of sync.I just can't figure what went wrong because i didn't use to have this problem.Thats why i was wondering about one of the updates to adobe or firefox might have caused an incompatability issue.

Collapse -
Answer
Let's look at this machine a little closer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2012 5:06 AM PDT

Lenovo ThinkCentre M52 8212 (Pentium 4 531 3GHz, 512MB RAM, 40GB HDD, XP Pro)

Sorry but if you look around, folk with P4 machines are complaining a lot today. Not only do you have software that is tuned to the newer machines with more CPU CORES but you have machines that the owners never had serviced. Some didn't know about this or see articles like http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

It could be software but the clues are not in your posts. And to list all we know won't fit here.

I'm going to write it needs repair since it works for 20 minutes. If I saw this machine the first work would be the cleaning and replacing the heat sink compounds. The machine is certainly old enough to know it needs the basic work.
Bob

Collapse -
guess its too bad
by rhodeyes1 / May 14, 2012 9:12 AM PDT

I did all the disabaling and reduced video quality to the lowest number.I guess I'm stuck with it.It was refurbished so I have 2 gigs RAM so thats not the problem.I suppose the grapics on the mother board might be going bad.Checking in the device manager>display adapters it says I have the intel(R) 82945G express chipset family.Why its listed twice there I wouldn't know.I think once I downloaded some kind of chipset while I was trying to improve my system.Do you think maybe that is doing something bad?Could I delete one of them from the display adapters list?Also In my add/remove programs list I see 'intel(R) network connection 16.3.48.0 listed. I must have downloaded that for some reason.since I am also having trouble with my webcam staying connected on my instant messenger programs for more than 15 seconds, if it connects at all ,do you think maybe I have the wrong network connection?
I'm just trying to think of some last possibilities to work with before I give up. Thank you

Collapse -
That's a good clue. The 82945G
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 14, 2012 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: guess its too bad

The 82945G on board video, the P4, the age and more all conspire to make this a machine that might work under the right conditions and then cause issues.

And I see no words about the maintenance areas for this old iron. I dropped some very big hints but nothing.

I think the next stop is a repair counter.
Bob

Collapse -
might try new heat sink
by rhodeyes1 / May 27, 2012 7:28 AM PDT

This computer has an IBM FRU39M0586 heat sink:the thing that sets on top of the processer to draw heat away.It has some copper tubing my friend says has a gas in it that gets cool when exposed to heat.He thinks and so do I that maybe the gas got bad or leaked out.At any rate I want to try a different one.I looked on ebay and those numbers showed no results so maybe its not available to try any more.Even before the video synching went bad my fan was running at a loud speed most of the time.At this present time the computer never is running quietly.The fan is always making noise.Do u know of any other place that the heat sink would be available?This Lenovo doesn't use a fan at the processor.It seems the computer in general slows up quite noticably at other things besides the videos after its been on for a while.Things get slower pretty much after about an hour.If I turn the computer off for 15 minutes everything runs quickly again.I think I might try to leave the computer case open for an hour or two.That might produce results

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!