Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Video resolution and CD recording

by laurentmg / June 15, 2007 2:33 PM PDT

I am new to video editing so please bear with me if my questions appear trivial. I own a Canon SD100 and a ZR850. I can shoot movies with my camera on 320x240 and even on 640x480. However it seems that my camcorder cannot shoot higher than 320x240. I thought that miniDV had a much higher resolution. Is the Canon limited to a low video resolution? Is it the same thing with similar cameras?

Anyway, second problem, when I transfer to my computer I can create nice wmv files. When I convert to AVI, the size of the files become unbearably huge. My DVD player cannot read mpeg so I prefer AVI. Is there an explanation why with my camcorder movies (15m 320x240) generate huge AVI files? I used ULead Video Studio to convert files from wmv to AVI.

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video resolution and CD recording
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video resolution and CD recording
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Canon DV movie files
by Dan Filice / June 15, 2007 3:56 PM PDT

The Canon ZR850 has both USB and Firewire video outputs. Since you are using a PC my question is "How are you exporting the DV video? Are you using Firewire or USB?" Many PCs do not have a Firewire card, and most cameras only come with USB cables, so right from the start, it's two strikes. USB is not really capable of exporting full DV video data, so it may be defaulting to the 320X240 size. Use the USB cable only for downloading still images that you take with the camcorder or use it on your Canon digital still camera.

Regarding file size, a properly downloaded DV movie will use about 13megs per hour. Your "large" file size may be caused by your editing program converting your small mpeg 320X240 movie into an AVI movie file for editing (which is about as large as a comparable DV file).

What do you mean your DVD player can't play MPEG? All DVD movies are MPEG, so if what you say is true, you couldn't play a commercial DVD. But, do you mean that your MPEG movie is a small 320X240 movie? If so, then it's not a video MPEG, it's a data MPEG and it is probably a smaller WMV or Quicktime-type file. Either of these won't play in a DVD player but will play in a computer.

Collapse -
Correction. DV is 13.5 gigs per hour, not megs.
by Kiddpeat / June 15, 2007 8:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon DV movie files

13 megs would be a VERY SMALL video indeed.

Collapse -
I used Firewire
by laurentmg / June 16, 2007 12:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon DV movie files

I am using a firewire cable and the recording movie on miniDV becomes a 320x240 movie on my computer. With Window Movie Maker I get a wmv for about 200Mo or mpg file the same size and once in a CD it doesn't play on my DVD player. What should I do after recording the movie on miniDV to get it on a regular CD playable on DVD player?

So far what I have done is:

miniDV->firewire->WinXP->Movie Player->wmv/mpg.

I converted to AVI with mpeg conversion and got a file around 500Mo.

Collapse -
First of all....
by whizkid454 / June 16, 2007 1:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I used Firewire

Why not burn to DVD? DVD burners can be had for around $50, internal or external.

You will not be able to burn a quality video to a CD. You can do it, but the quality will be more than disappointing. A DVD will allow you to fit more data onto the disc therefore giving you more room to store a higher-quality video.

Collapse -
2 questions
by laurentmg / June 16, 2007 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: First of all....

2 questions:

1) Can the ZR850 record at a better resolution than 320x240? If yes how?

2) I will be fine if I can see this actual movie on my DVD player. What is the process to make it play in a DVD using a regular CD? I tried SVD but it still doesn't recognize the disk and I don't need a DVD for this movie.

Collapse -
Well...
by whizkid454 / June 16, 2007 1:57 AM PDT
In reply to: 2 questions

1) Yes. It will record at 640x480. I'm not sure what you are doing wrong. It should record in 640x480 to the tape, but your input method may have changed that.

2) CDs are made for storage and music. Why? Because these two things do not require a fast transfer speed. Video does which is why we usually use DVDs because of the extra space and faster transfer speed. The slower the transfer speed, the less data can be displayed on the TV at a time. So I guess the movie isn't going to be long, but if you still want good quality, a DVD is the disc to use.

Collapse -
"Window Movie Maker" Now try it my way.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: I used Firewire

Go get WINDV and skip movie maker...

Now we have a normal MPEG or AVI and go get DVDSanta (the demo will do for now) to create a simple CD/DVD.

Bob

Collapse -
Edited version
by laurentmg / June 16, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

Here is the deal, I imported my movie via firewire and I edited it. Now I have a file that I can save in any format. Is there a format I can use so that I can make it to be readable in my DVD player?

I used SVD because it is an option in ULead video.

Collapse -
So you have Ulead?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 16, 2007 4:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Edited version

That trip to Windows Movie Maker is going to do very strange things.

Ok let me amend "my way" to this.

Go get WINDV and capture it there. Now off to ULEAD and make your VCD or DVD.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!