TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Video recording with quality audio

by choppersinc10 / December 10, 2007 10:15 AM PST

Hello,
I have a home audio recording studio and I would like to start making video recordings of performances. As usual, I have a very low budget, and I'm totally new to video recording. Basically what I want to do is record the audio performance through my computer software, and have video recording simultaneously so it's synced up nicely. Can anyone walk me through the standard recording process? Thanks, Joe.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video recording with quality audio
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video recording with quality audio
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
XLR--useful, versitile and now fairly widely available
by ADiller / December 11, 2007 2:36 AM PST

If you can, get yourself a camera with XLR inputs. This way you could a)plug into an output of the house audio for a clean feed or b)get a good boom mic and place/point it as close to the action as possible. This way the audio and video are always in sync and recorded on the same source. If you really want them on two separate sources, a lip sync check should be established in the beginning or end of the recording--a clap, 10 count, clapboard, etc. I'm a video editor and there's not many things more frustrating than having the sync off. There are a myriad of devices that will record audio digitally so you have only to import the file and plug it into whatever editing software you have to join the video and audio. Again, a lip sync check will make life a lot easier for you when doing things seperatly. Your best bet, a camera with XLR inputs.

Collapse -
continuing audio video question
by choppersinc10 / December 11, 2007 1:37 PM PST

Ok, this is a complete guess, but is that how a show like SNL or Conan broadcasts? Do the video cameras get audio sent to them after it is mixed/eq'ed, etc?

Collapse -
SNL and Conan...
by ADiller / December 12, 2007 1:22 AM PST

...are switched productions--same with sports, news or other live productions. They are shot with many cameras and the video from each camera goes to a central "switcher" that switches from one camera to another. The audio is mixed seperately, taking feeds from handheld mics, lavs, boom mics, etc--then mixing them together with music, sound effects, playback audio from pretaped pieces then sent to be recorded on the same tape as the video. They are synced up beforehand with a lip sync check and then recorded realtime together--in sync. We do it everyday before every show. Conan, like most talk shows and event shows (like the Oscars, American Idol, etc.), is actually prerecorded and any flub-ups in audio or video are fixed before airing the show. They call it "live-to-tape." Cuts down on editing, but not the pressure of live TV.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?