General discussion

video problems

When trying to watch video links on news sites the videos keep pausing and nothing I do seems to get them to keep going.It doesn't happen if someone emails me a video but when I try to watch one on a news programme site I have this problem

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: video problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: video problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
If you are using a

dialup connection, this will happen because the speed is too slow.

- Collapse -
Is true of must poeple

Hi - What you are experiencing is perfectly normal for most people....only those with very fast connection speeds would be excluded.
When you receive a video via email you are downloading the entire file in one go and then viewing it, consequently it will play through smoothly.....when you are 'streaming' video from the internet, however, you are downloading and playing simultaneously so, if your download speed can't keep up the playing will stop and wait for it to catch up. Also, the download speed often relies heavily on the site's server and current demand so there will be occasions when even those with the very fast connection speeds will experience this stop start performance.
cheers.....JIM

- Collapse -
video problems

Thanks for your help, Jim

CNET Forums