Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Video Problem on Win 98se

This machine is a 99 model Gateway handed down to the Grandkids to play on-but its a pretty big old horse with 320mb-RAM. Everything works good except it freezes up on some DVD's. It has the factory Hitachi DVD_ROM. Cannot install a new decoder and it will not play home made DVD's off of camcorder or HDTV. Is it possible to update the vga card, lots of sites tell me they have the answer and after I buy their program I get no results. Home made DVD's play perfect on my 2005 HP with Win DVD 7 Platinum or any other DVD player.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Problem on Win 98se
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Problem on Win 98se
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
your DVD player laser is probably...

In reply to: Video Problem on Win 98se

old and weak. Will play some new (unscratched) retail DVDs ok but "homemade" are a weaker burn. Can you try a known good DVDrom drive from elsewhere? (first before you spend more $$).

Collapse -
Zero buck test.

In reply to: Video Problem on Win 98se

Create a GEEXBOX boot CD from google.com, boot and see if the DVD plays.

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the posts, believe I need new DVD-ROM

In reply to: Zero buck test.

What is a good DVD-ROM package that Win 98 will support. The Lite-on models I've seen at Wal-Mart and Radio Shack list only 2000 and XP as compatible. D

Collapse -
what they are referring to is...

In reply to: Thanks for the posts, believe I need new DVD-ROM

The burning software that comes with unit.
Much of this "included" software is proprietary to that particular unit.
Maybe an email or call to the burning program mfg will get you an authorized download or CD to support W98se.
That's why Adaptec (Roxio) and Nero sell retail versions.
W98SE will recog the DVD drive,no problem.
Your old "burning" program may not work, may need to update the program driver database, if'n they let ya.

Collapse -
I've got access to a 2004 Compaq cd-writer/dvd-rom combo

In reply to: what they are referring to is...

Appears to be a dead on match to swap out with the old Hitachi. Do you think its worth a try. D

Collapse -
yes but...

In reply to: I've got access to a 2004 Compaq cd-writer/dvd-rom combo

your current burning program may not work on the newer Compaq DVD-CD deal. You can't use the Compaq program because you can't get it and it will stop after seeing the wrong model PC. You can try seeing about "driver" updates for your current one.
www.download.com might have a generic burning program.

Collapse -
Not much worry about burning on this machine

In reply to: yes but...

I am mainly trying to put together a reliable system for grandkids to play dvd movies. The player off the Compaq is doing a good job with their Atari and pc games. Does anybody know what decoders work with Win 98. Don't find Power DVD 5 to download anymore and I don't think version 6 works on win 98.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.