The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

video podcasts not working on 30g video ipod

Hi everyone,

I have a video ipod (30 gig) and itunes 7. The problem is that video podcasts will not sync and show the video on my ipod. I went to my local Apple store, and they told me that the problem was in the coding of the video podcasts, not with the ipod. If it were one podcast that wouldn't work I might think they were right, but in this case noone's vid podcast will work. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so what can I do to fix it?
Mary B (Houston, TX)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: video podcasts not working on 30g video ipod
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: video podcasts not working on 30g video ipod
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wha whaaaa

In reply to: video podcasts not working on 30g video ipod

ofcourse thats what Apple would say...
and ofcourse V would just raise her hands and say.. I GOT NOTHING Happy

but frankly... i think its got to do with iTune7.

Collapse -
cnet's videocasts work for me

cnet's videocast works for me Happy

i have the buzz report, crave and even that 1 videocast on SoaP from BOL Happy

there were 2 videos, though, from the buzz report that didn't sync with the iPod, and it gave me the error that it was the way the video was encoded, but that was OK because it happened during that iTunes 7 launch so the coding might've been different.

Collapse -
Which video podcasts have you tried?

I think it probably is NOT an encoding problem, but to be sure you should give us some examples. I definitely have success with "CNET TV", "Diggnation (Small Quicktime)", and "Inside the Black Box (video)".

Obviously, CNET TV is going to have the largest cross over with other people in this forum. Did you try that, did it download properly, play in iTunes 7, etc?

Also, check if you have "Manually manage music and videos" turned on? And make sure that under the Podcasts tab in iTunes you either a) "Sync All Podcasts" or b) the podcast you want to sync is checked. It may sound silly, but you gotta start with the easy stuff, just in case.

Collapse -
usually

Usually that is the problem. If the podcaster, vidcaster, or vlogger doesn't have the correct file for the ipod video then you have to do it yourself. However usually iTunes usually asks you if you want to convert the video. Say yes and it will make it compatible with the video ipod.

I can help you out more if you need to..
just send me an email schmult at gmail.

nick schmidt

Collapse -
hmmm...

I thought I had this problem a while back but realized that I had to access the video podcasts from the 'videos' section of the menu on the iPod instead of the 'music->podcasts' section. Strange thing is that the video podcasts are still listed in the 'music->podcasts' section.

Collapse -
re: hmmmm

In reply to: hmmm...

Well, none of the cnet video podcasts are coming through in the 'video' section... although one from another source is. Its very confusing. And you're right, it is strange that the video podcasts are still listed in the music podcast section.

Collapse -
just wait

In reply to: re: hmmmm

Just wait.. things may change by tomorrow with Macworld. They may change some features to iTunes. Which we all agree should have vlogs.

Collapse -
My video podcasts are showing up fine

In reply to: re: hmmmm

I have a 30GB iPod Video. And the latest version of iTunes that I know of for Windows. (7.0.2.16) And Version 1.2.1 iPod update.

My current video podcasts that I have on my iPod:
Crave
Diggnation (small Quicktime)
Science Pilots/PBS
Attack of the Show
The Buzz Report

They all show up as Video Podcasts under Video. They also show up under Music podcasts but only play as audio.

Collapse -
Check the tv out setting

I had the same problem snd finally figured it out. It seems that mine came with the tv out setting(under video settings) set to on. I turned it off and volla it worked from then on. I hope this helps. BTW I have the 30 gig black so I am not sure it is set diffrent out the box or something.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.