Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Video Playback issues with new GPU.

by richr1190 / June 6, 2014 11:13 PM PDT

My friend and I both just recently built our own PCs and we have run into the same snag. After installing all drivers and software needed for our video cards(GTX 770 & GTX 560Ti) whenever we try to open any downloaded video files our screen resolution changes and the graphics quality becomes horrible while the video is playing but once the player is closed everything returns to normal. Is this a common occurrence or did we do something wrong?

richr1190 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video Playback issues with new GPU.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video Playback issues with new GPU.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by richr1190

Collapse -
Finally!
by richr1190 / June 11, 2014 5:42 AM PDT

After searching and searching and changing the wording of the issue several times, I finally found the solution!
I'm quite frustrated with the simplicity of the fix but what can you do. As this was my first NVIDIA GPU there was guaranteed a learning curve but here is what I found: Under the NVIDIA Control Panel setting: "Display>Adjust desktop color settings" is a drop-down box titled: "Content type reported to the display:" with 3 option as follows: 1: Auto-Select 2: Desktop Programs 3: Full-screen videos. By changing from the Default (#1) to option #2, the issue was resolved. All programs, games, and videos continue to work properly after this change.

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear you got it resolved and posted the fix
by VAPCMD / June 13, 2014 10:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Finally!
Collapse -
Answer
Re: video
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 6, 2014 11:36 PM PDT

What type of video? What program do you use to play that video? What happens if you use another program?

Kees

Collapse -
Re:
by richr1190 / June 7, 2014 5:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: video

I'm using MKV format and I have tried VLC player, Windows Media Player, and MPC-HC. they have all done the same thing. However it only does so when I enter Fullscreen for VLC and WMP. MPC-HC does it as soon as I open the video.

Collapse -
Re:
by richr1190 / June 7, 2014 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I just realized it is only happening when I open 1080p files.

Collapse -
Have You Set The Screen Resolution Correctly For Monitor?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

You don't mention the monitor size and it's important to remember that each monitor has a specific "native" resolution, especially LCD's.. Changing it to something different can cause issues so try setting the resolution to the default "native" resolution for your monitor...

Likewise with the color settings and the refresh rate. See the link below for general guidelines for various types of display screens.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Screen Res
by richr1190 / June 8, 2014 1:30 PM PDT

I am currently using a 40inch Sony LCD with a 1080p Native res. All settings are set to match the TV.
Here is a video showing exactly what is happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjg-NCUb-b4
You cant really tell from the video but when the picture comes back it looks horrible. The edges are jagged and it stutters like crazy. It looks almost like when you first set up a pc and no display drivers are installed.

Collapse -
Answer
Are you running theses Sli ?
by VAPCMD / June 8, 2014 6:07 AM PDT

What if you use only the GTX 770 without the GTX 560 installed ?

Collapse -
Re: SLI
by richr1190 / June 8, 2014 1:36 PM PDT

I'm currently only using the GTX 770. The GTX 560 Ti is one of a friend who is having the exact same issue.

Collapse -
Answer
Wild guess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2014 1:33 PM PDT

Did you uncheck the checkbox 'Black Screens in Fullscreen mode' under VLC-->Preferences...-->Video

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?