Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Video playback in iTunes is distorted

by WynterBytch / February 8, 2009 9:29 PM PST

Hello all! I am hoping someone will be able to help me. I recently had to do an OS re-install on my computer. Since then, all videos in iTunes are distorted. The image appears as if it has been cut in half and then the right side plays on the left side and vice versa. Example: An image that should appear as () actually appears as )(
It also appears as if 2 of the same video is playing over the other and creates a kind of ghost image.

Video was playing fine prior to the re-install and video plays fine in all other players.

I have tried re installing iTunes as well as Quicktime.
I am running Windows XP Home SP3 with a Pentium 4 3.20 GHz and 3g of RAM. I am running iTunes

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thank you kindly in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video playback in iTunes is distorted
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video playback in iTunes is distorted
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Video drivers
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 9, 2009 12:15 AM PST

Just a guess here as I don't use iTunes, but when you re-installed that OS, did you also install the drivers for the video card?

The XP CD doesn't normally have those, and either you use the Drivers CD that came with the XP CD, or you find the drivers yourself from the computer manufacturer's site, or from the devices' web sites themselves.

Don't use the Update drivers option for devices in the Device Manager. Microsoft doesn't do all the drivers.

Collapse -
by WynterBytch / February 11, 2009 1:02 AM PST
In reply to: Video drivers

Mark - thanks for the help. We did make sure the drivers were installed and updated. I did happen upon some further details which makes this problem even more unusual to me.

First, I failed to mention originally that we run a dual monitor display. For s&g, I dragged the movie over to monitor 1 and it plays just fine (we normally run iTunes on monitor 2). If iTunes is open on either window does not affect the problem (the video still plays fine* on m1 and is distorted on m2).

* When playing the video on m1, if I click on any tab in the task bar (not clicking on the task bar itself, just a tab for any open application), the movie has the same distortion as if it's being played on m2. It does not have the reverse affect if playing in m2 and I click on a tab in the task bar.

I checked and made sure all settings were the same for both monitors. Also, all of the other media applications work fine on both monitors.

This is very strange to me and maddening as well.

Collapse -
by chickenorfish / February 10, 2009 12:05 AM PST

well i bet itunes uses quicktime, so try another player like vlc

Collapse -
Video playback in iTunes is distorted
by stevezachjohnson / April 5, 2009 12:17 AM PDT

wow!... That sounds a really freaky, it's as if your pc is haunted. Maybe you should not play it simultaneously to avoid such distortions..

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?