Computer Help forum

General discussion

Video out of laptop not working

by alzed / July 3, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

I edited a video of my neice's graduation and am now want to record it on a DVD, the same way as I've done for many other videos I made. I don't have an internal DVD recorder in my laptop, so I run an S-video cable out of my laptop and into a Toshiba DVD recorder/player. For the audio I run a cable from the headphones out to audio line in on the recorder/player.

What I've done in the past is to hook up the cables and push CTRL-F5. That would then send the video to the recorder.

Now when I try this nothing happens. I tried making the recorder the 2nd monitor in the control pannel>display settings. That worked for a test run of the video, but now it doesn't work.

Next step, I ran through the troubleshooting stuff in the help section on the computer. The stuff that I could actually understand looked like it's set up right. I mean, if it worked before it must be set up right, right? Although, since it doesn't work now, something has to be wrong somewhere.

I tried a call to our local Best Buy store's Geek Squad. All the guy said was that I can bring it in and drop it off. They'll take a look at it when they can. I'm currently unemployed so the idea of paying somebody to fix something that I might be able to fix myself is out of the question.

Heck, before I take it in, I'll save the file on a thumbdrive and use somebody else's computer to burn it on a dvd.

But I'd really, really like to be able to do it myself at home with my own equipment.

Anybody got any ideas of what I could try that might make this work again? I'd truely appreciate the help!

I'm using a Compaq Presario V2000, with an AMD Turion64 processor, and running XP Home.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video out of laptop not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video out of laptop not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fn F5?
by sunwatcher / July 3, 2009 11:45 PM PDT

Are you sure the key combination isn't function-F5 (Fn-F5)? That is usually the combination I see when enabling the video out on a laptop.

Collapse -
Mine is Fn+F4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2009 12:49 AM PDT

I think you could share a link to your machine's user manual and someone might check it for you.

Collapse -
Got it
by alzed / July 4, 2009 10:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the posts. You got me aimed in the right direction. I tried the Fn-F5, which just put the computer into standby mode. Then I dug out my manual, which directed me to look in the Help and Support section (under the Start button). Low and behold, there was a whole section on Hotkeys. And there, under the Fn-F4 combo was what I was looking for. My neice's graduation video is now on a dvd and I can give it to her tomorrow.

Many, many thanks for steering me to what I needed!

Collapse -
Smart steering.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 5, 2009 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Got it

Glad it was just a simple thing. Thanks for the report.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?