Camcorders forum

General discussion

Video missing from DV tape

by Turaiel / January 28, 2010 7:28 AM PST

A few days ago, I recorded a video on an old DV tape we had lying around. Today, I recorded video over what was already on it. Upon review, I found that the tape deck only showed the old video and the camera doesn't show any video at all. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Video missing from DV tape
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Video missing from DV tape
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
DV Tape Problem
by Scott Markowitz / January 28, 2010 12:27 PM PST

This does seem like a mystery.

Typically there would be no problem recording DV onto a tape that had already been used. Despite what the tape manufacturers want you to think; you can reuse DV tapes over and over until the magnetic coating physically wears down. (You can expect the tape to be good for at least 20 recordings.)

Given how these devices work, I would venture a guess that you were not actually recording to the tape when you thought you were. This is a situation that happens to the best of us.

Most modern camcorders are so quiet and efficient in the tape transport mechanism that you would barely hear if the tape is rolling- and it's easy to think your recording even if your not.

The other possible explanation for your problem is that you cued the tape up to a different portion of the tape. Maybe, your tape was not rewound all the way to the beginning when you started recording. Then, when you went to watch on your DV deck, you DID rewind all the way, and did not see what you expected.

If you find that you had a different problem, please let the forum know.

Cheers.
Scott Markowitz
http://www.creativehomemovie.com

Collapse -
Somewhat solved
by Turaiel / January 29, 2010 8:34 AM PST
In reply to: DV Tape Problem

As it turns out, the camera was "recording," but had never read the position on the tape in the first place, resulting in nothing written to the tape. Now I'm wondering why both cameras remain at -- -- -- when the tape is put in.

Collapse -
No link spam.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 29, 2010 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: DV Tape Problem

Tagline spam is not allowed.

Be aware that moderators will enforce that so drop the tagline spam.

Collapse -
It is quite simple.
by Desperado JC / January 28, 2010 10:42 PM PST

If you want to obtain a good recording, DO NOT reuse tapes. That's what the pros will tell you, and they do know what they are talking about. Further, ALWAYS use the same brand/type of tape in the camera.

If you want to check the camera, USE A NEW TAPE! Then record some video and review the result.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.