General discussion

Video, games, and graphic problems after installing windows7

Ever since I upgraded to windows 7 from vista I've been having a lot of graphical problems, most of which were never an issue before installation.

One issue has been with aero. Moving windows about looks really choppy and slow. I was using Aero with windows vista so I don't see why there would suddenly be a problem? I've also lost all ability to play videos from any media player in fullscreen. The videos lag so much that it's pretty much unbearable to watch.
I haven't tried much in terms of gaming, but I'm pretty sure running a game at this point would be enough to make my computer explode. Even simple games like solitaire don't run smoothly.

One thing I've noticed is that if I lower my computer's resolution I can watch videos again, but I've never had to do this before, what gives?

I've tried a tons of suggestions from around the internet and nothing works. All of my drivers have been updated, and I've even done a clean install of windows 7, which I think actually made the problems worse (I wasn't have video problems until I re-installed)

Some computer specs: I'm using a new HP Pavillion (p6130y) (purchased in August) with 8GB RAM, Nvidia Geforce 9100 graphics card, amd phenom x49750 processor, and a 24 inch monitor if that means anything.

This computer is practically new and ran so amazingly before I upgraded. Any help would be sooo greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Video, games, and graphic problems after installing windows7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Video, games, and graphic problems after installing windows7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
I read.

I read where you updated the OS but could not find where or how you updated the drivers. This is still not automatic and there is no button to click to do this with a click of the button. Drivers continue to be found and installed the old fashioned way (find, download, install.)
Bob

- Collapse -
drivers

Thanks for responding so quickly.

Sorry I didn't specify about the drivers. I installed some of my graphics cards manually like my graphics card and my monitor because I assumed these were the two things that could be causing the problems. I don't know what else it could be?

- Collapse -
woops

Sorry, I meant drivers, not graphics cards haha.

- Collapse -
All the other drivers.

A common forgotten driver is the motherboard chipset. In a few rare cases the motherboard BIOS must be updated for Windows 7. Not all just a few.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info